Can I run for a few months on nothing but an SSD?

AntaresX

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012
I was thinking about cutting costs on the initial purchase of my gaming rig by leaving the data drive out and picking it up later. For the first few months the system is only going to have the OS, some basic programs, and 1-2 modern games. Planning to go for either a 120GB or 180GB SSD to hold all that and allow me to game to my heart's content while enjoying the full benefits of my first SSD.

Is there anything unwise about this decision? Will it end up being more trouble than its worth?

Solution
G
i had a 250 Gig HD in my last system. i installed a buttload of programs, adobe master collection, a half dozen games and a slew of other stuff.
the only reason i hit 50% (125 Gigs)usage was all the music and HTML documents w/graphics i had.

you should be fine.

Goodeggray

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
AntaresX

You shouldn't have any problems running on just a SSD. Just make sure you keep all program disk and keys if you need to re install. With the falling SSD prices 240GB ones can be had for $200. You may want to go with a 249GB SSD.

AntaresX

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012

The reason I didn't want to go that high, money wise, for an SSD with more room is because I feel like if I'm going to shell out in the $200 range I might as well get a 120GB SSD and pick up a 1TB Data drive for around the same price. I suppose I'm not really saving much by cutting out the $100 data drive, but for my initial purchase, since I'm on a budget, I'd rather put that $100 towards a better GPU.

I'll be sure to keep all program and disk keys safe and easily accessible whatever I choose to do, because you never know when you might need them.

AntaresX

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012

Took me a minute to figure out why you felt I was getting ripped off, then I realized it was because of my poorly phrased sentence in my last post.

I was saying if I'm going to get a $200 240GB SSD, I might as well get a 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD data drive combo for the same price. Right now my plan is to stick with a 120GB SSD and pick up the data drive later, saving the extra money for a better graphics card.

By the way, taking the drive out of the external is pretty clever. I never would have thought of that.

G

i had a 250 Gig HD in my last system. i installed a buttload of programs, adobe master collection, a half dozen games and a slew of other stuff.
the only reason i hit 50% (125 Gigs)usage was all the music and HTML documents w/graphics i had.

you should be fine.

Solution