Cpu heatsink can be twisted

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • CPUs
  • Evo
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 10, 2013 9:30:41 PM

So, after mounting my Hyper 212 EVO, I noticed it ever so slightly crooked, so I tried to twist it slightly. I found out I could actually twist it around on the CPU. Is this normal?

More about : cpu heatsink twisted

a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 9:47:48 PM

Depends what you mean by "slightly", are we talking about millimeters or inches? Or can you give it a full turn?

Usually heatsink are supposed to be held firmly in place with some pressure on the CPU for heat transfer and so that it wouldn't move if carried around and such. On what CPU and mobo did you install it?
m
l
a c 1078 à CPUs
a c 428 K Overclocking
February 10, 2013 9:51:07 PM

Should not spin completely around.
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2013 9:52:11 PM

MC_K7 said:
Depends what you mean by "slightly", are we talking about millimeters or inches? Or can you give it a full turn?

Usually heatsink are supposed to be held firmly in place with some pressure on the CPU for heat transfer and so that it wouldn't move if carried around and such. On what CPU and mobo did you install it?

I could probably give it a full turn, but it takes a little force. An amount of force that wouldn't be supplied by just moving the PC around.
CPU is an i5 2500k
Mobo is an MSI z77 Mpower
m
l
a c 1078 à CPUs
a c 428 K Overclocking
February 10, 2013 9:53:24 PM

Should be just slightly snug.
m
l
a c 1078 à CPUs
a c 428 K Overclocking
February 10, 2013 9:54:09 PM

I had the EVO on my last build and it didn't shift at all.
m
l
February 10, 2013 9:56:19 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
I had the EVO on my last build and it didn't shift at all.

What do you mean by shifting? Shifting by just, say, moving the PC, or shifting by actually apply some force to it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2013 10:07:35 PM

yesthis said:
I could probably give it a full turn, but it takes a little force. An amount of force that wouldn't be supplied by just moving the PC around.
CPU is an i5 2500k
Mobo is an MSI z77 Mpower

My guess is that it's probably not installed properly, it shouldn't move. And it shouldn't have been crooked from the start, it should be at a right angle with proper pressure on the CPU for heat transfer. If there's a small gap between the CPU and the heatsink or not enough pressure the heat transfer won't happen and your CPU will quickly overheat.

There are probably videos on the OCZ website or on youtube on how to install this heatsink.
m
l
February 10, 2013 10:15:14 PM

MC_K7 said:
My guess is that it's probably not installed properly, it shouldn't move. And it shouldn't have been crooked from the start, it should be at a right angle with proper pressure on the CPU for heat transfer. If there's a small gap between the CPU and the heatsink or not enough pressure the heat transfer won't happen and your CPU will quickly overheat.

There are probably videos on the OCZ website or on youtube on how to install this heatsink.

Well let me give some more details. The cooler is a Hyper 212 EVO. I'm not sure if you've used this, but there is a bracket that goes trough the bottom heatpipes, and a screw in the middle of the bracket that goes through the middle of the mounting platform. I'm certain that that is what it is twisting on. Obviously, the bracket isn't twisting because it's screwed into the Mobo. Also, I'd like to point out that my CPU idle temps are in the high 20s to low 30s (not sure on load temps yet). What do you think now?
m
l
February 10, 2013 11:38:37 PM

I just watched the entire video, and I know I did exactly as he did. At the end (after he had tightened every screw) I saw him twist it every so slightly because it was slightly off center. It looked like it took a lock of force, though. I think my screws just need to be tightened a little bit more, just to be safe. Also, I searched around a little bit more, and it seems other people are able to twist it a little bit. I shouldn't have said I could give it a full turn, because I doubt that.
m
l
a c 1078 à CPUs
a c 428 K Overclocking
February 10, 2013 11:41:19 PM

Only tighten them just till snug,so you don't damage your board.
m
l
a c 1078 à CPUs
a c 428 K Overclocking
February 10, 2013 11:42:06 PM

Yours probably just needed to tightened a slight bit more.
m
l
February 10, 2013 11:47:54 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Yours probably just needed to tightened a slight bit more.

Yes, I will check on that. Thanks for the help.
m
l
!