KINGSTON HyperX 3K SSD, 240GB (SH103S3/240G)

tomazos

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hi all,

I'm trying to pick a 240GB SSD SATA3 drive to put two of them in RAID0 on my x79 system.

I see that "KINGSTON SH100S3240G" is top ten at www.harddrivebenchmark.net (PassMark)

Does anyone know what the difference is between:

KINGSTON HyperX 3K SSD, 240GB (SH103S3/240G)
2.5", 240GB Flash, MLC, read: 555 MB/s, write: 510 MB/s, SSD controller: SandForce SF-2281 • SATA III 6.0Gb/s

and

KINGSTON HyperX SSD, 240GB (SH100S3/240G)
2.5", 240GB Flash, MLC, read: 555 MB/s, write: 510 MB/s, SSD controller: SandForce SF-2281 • SATA III 6.0Gb/s

The "3K" version is about 20% cheaper, but the stats all look identical.

Why would you ever buy the non-3k version, does it have any advantage that I am not seeing?

Thanks,
Andrew.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
It's the IOPS. They're slightly slower on the 3k... only ever so slightly slower. My guess is that the 3k is the new product, and a weapon in the SSD price war that is about to wage (because it's cheaper).
I'll be buying a 3k for my wife's laptop sometime in May.

According to Kingston and technical reviews the Kingston HyperX 3K is a "value ssd". The 3K refers to the number of program/erase cycles the NAND is rated for. That is less than the typical 5,000 program/erase cycles we usually see. For a typical user the HyperX 3K translates to lifespan of about 8 years instead of the standard 13 years. I very seriously doubt anyone will be doing without an upgrade for 8 years.

Here is a link to the ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the Kingston section or any other brand you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

Tech_66

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I am not so sure about Kingston's HyperX 3K 240Gb SSD with the new high-speed SandForce SF-2281 will work any more after two attemps to get my HyperX 3K (firmware version: 506ABBF0) to work either in a netbook, MacBook Air or SATA adapter. The replacement for the dead HyperX 3k 240Gb SSD that was received on 26 February, 2013 can only be formatted and write files to the drive, it will read a small mp4 file completely once in a few tries and then shut down by itself. My first Intel Series 320 SSD works until the BIOS problem occurs when the netbook power was low and no charger was connected to the netbook. Intel carries a five year warranty and Kingston for three years only. Will see my Intel replacement (a Corsair Force Series™ 3 90GB SATA 3 6Gb/s Solid-State Hard Drive) works in a few days. However, if the HyperX 3K 240Gb SSD works it can transfer a 9 Gb movie file in less than 3 minutes via MacBook Air with USB 3.0 from an external LacCie HDD box.

Anyone have any experience with their SSD installation, please post to let us know !!

Tech_66 - I just wanted to reply to your comment about the new high speed SandForce SF-2281 controller. It is not a new controller. SandForce has not introduced a new controller in over 2 years. I doubt that we will see any new consumer oriented controllers from SandForce. When LSI, which focuses on the enterprise side of the market, acquired SandForce, the company put SandForce to work on enterprise projects.

Tech_66

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Thanks JohnnyLucky for the Info!!
I am getting the Corsair Force Series 3 also use a LSI SandForce
SF2281VB1-SDC and this time and Micron Asynchronous 25nm MLC instead of the Kingston HyperX 3K with Intel Synchronous 25nm MLC
Lets see if it works fine.