Loss of pictures from external hard disk during transfer between two hard disks

Hello,
I have two hard disks - Disk A and Disk B. Recently, i switched from a PC to a MAC so i reformatted these two disks so that files can be written into them using my Mac. I did the proper procedure of transferring my files from the disks into another computer before i reformat them. Once the two disks have been reformatted with the contents stored inside proper, i proceeded to copy and paste the contents from Disk A to Disk B because the Disk A has a history of bad USB connection so i want to back up my files on the better Disk B. But some pictures went missing after the transfer and i have no clue as to how to retrieve all of them. Please help because those pictures have incredibly high sentimental value for me as they are pictures of a loved one who is going away soon. =( The folder exists without the images and both hard disks do not contain the images at all.
4 answers Last reply
More about loss pictures external hard disk transfer hard disks
  1. First, stop using the disks. By using them you may overwrite existing data, making recovery more difficult.

Try using "RECUVA" - http://www.piriform.com/recuva
  2. Thanks for the reply!
    im looking at Recuva and it says that it runs on windows. Im using a MAC. Does Recuva retrieve corrupted files?
    I suspect that my files are heavily corrupted - based on last retrievals from the other software..
  3. beckpacker said:
    Thanks for the reply!
    im looking at Recuva and it says that it runs on windows. Im using a MAC. Does Recuva retrieve corrupted files?
    I suspect that my files are heavily corrupted - based on last retrievals from the other software..

'Recuva' does a great job on PCs; don't know about MACs.
  4. Which format did you use when you say you formatted the disks so that files can be written using a Mac? If you used fat32, the maximum file size is 4 gig. Any files larger than that may have got lost in the move. A move operation in windows is actually two commands, a copy, then a delete of the original. In this situation, you will have lost the original too.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Macintosh Storage