1K$ video media player

I have a budget of 1K dollars, and would love to go lower, as I can do it sooner that way! I am looking to stream video/TV and dump the cable company as I don't watch that much anyways! I have a processor, I7 940, but need to build around it. The last PC I built was back when Windows Plus was around, so I need some technical advise as well, as I am sure it has all changed.

Ideas?

Thanks,
tm
4 answers Last reply
More about video media player
  1. Look in the articles section.. There have been recent build updates matching your budget..
  2. Well, ... If you sell that proc on eBay, we can propbably build you an entire, fully complete, state of the art home theater (+ DVR) loaded, for the money you get ... just for that CPU ... no kidding.

Somebody show this guy what I'm talkin' about.

= Al =
  3. Looks like Core I7-940 processors are going for between $400 and $500 on EBay. For that plus about $125, you can get a full system that will do all that you're asking.

Case/Power Supply: Antec Black M FusionRemote 350
    Motherboard: MSI 785GM-E51 AM3 AMD 785G HDMI <== Onboard graphics and sound are more than enough to do what you want.
    Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz
    Memory: OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3750528AS 750GB
    Optical Drive: LG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X

Total Cost: $525.76 Shipped.

Alternately, you can spend $150-$200 on just an LGA 1366 motherboard that can utilize your CoreI7 processor and you'd probably need to add a $50 graphics card for HD playback.

-Wolf sends
  4. Wolf's is decent, but if all your doing is watching media, I would swap the AM3 board/CPU for an i3-530/H55 board. They make the best HTPCs right now. I also wouldn't touch the OCZ RAM. It's really hit or miss on what works.

I would sell the i7 and build this:

CPU/Mobo: i3-530 and Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H $200
    RAM: Kingston 2x1 GB 1333 mhz CAS Latency 7 $58. 4 GB is nice, but not really needed for an HTPC. If you want 4 GB, this kit is good at $95.
    HDD: Seagate 7200.12 1 TB $90. The 750 GB is going to be slower.
    Case: The above is fine if you want an HTPC case. I personally don't care for them...
    Rest is the same (maybe 32-bit for the OS if you go with 2 GB of RAM)

Total: $567 w/ 2 GB, $604 w/ 4 GB
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Video Media Player Systems Product