Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU-intensive gaming: i3 vs. i5

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 7, 2010 11:33:00 PM

Because of budget constraints i can have either one of the combos: i3 530+ATI 5850 or i5 750+ATI 5770. I want to ask a few things: 1.)For CPU-intensive games, which combo will perform better? There will be no OCing. 2.)If it is i5 750, by how many %?(take your best guess) 3.) If gaming is my sole concern, which one should i pick? I will play all types of games. Thanks.........

More about : cpu intensive gaming

a c 863 à CPUs
a c 279 4 Gaming
June 8, 2010 12:52:23 AM

I5 with the HD5770 would be my choice regardless of resolution. The HD5850 is to powerful for the I3 to run at its full potential.
m
0
l
June 8, 2010 4:32:34 AM

Quote:
What resolution?

My native resolution would be 1280x1024 for the time being. But in future i might buy a new lcd with 1680x1050 native resolution.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 8, 2010 4:42:42 AM

rolli59 said:
I5 with the HD5770 would be my choice regardless of resolution. The HD5850 is to powerful for the I3 to run at its full potential.

I disagree with you. An i3 530 wont bottleneck a 5850. Other forum users have confirmed that. I think you should read the cpu artical "Gamers:D o you really need more than an AMD Athlon 2 X3 440" from here.
m
0
l
June 8, 2010 4:42:57 AM

rolli59 said:
I5 with the HD5770 would be my choice regardless of resolution. The HD5850 is to powerful for the I3 to run at its full potential.

I disagree with you. An i3 530 wont bottleneck a 5850. Other forum users have confirmed that. I think you should read the cpu artical "Gamers:D o you really need more than an AMD Athlon 2 X3 440" from here.
m
0
l
a c 203 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
June 8, 2010 4:45:33 AM

CPU-intensive gaming.... are we talking StarCraft II?
Or maybe flight and racing sims?
m
0
l
June 8, 2010 4:58:08 AM

WR2 said:
CPU-intensive gaming.... are we talking StarCraft II?
Or maybe flight and racing sims?

Games like world in Conflict or any cpu-dependent real-time strategy games
m
0
l
June 8, 2010 1:32:07 PM

evan4244 said:
Because of budget constraints i can have either one of the combos: i3 530+ATI 5850 or i5 750+ATI 5770. I want to ask a few things: 1.)For CPU-intensive games, which combo will perform better? There will be no OCing. 2.)If it is i5 750, by how many %?(take your best guess) 3.) If gaming is my sole concern, which one should i pick? I will play all types of games. Thanks.........


i5+5770 now and then another 5770 when you need it/can afford it?
m
0
l
June 8, 2010 2:53:27 PM

In my country,i couldnt find a good CF-ready mobo.So,CF isnt a viable option for me.
m
0
l
June 8, 2010 4:30:59 PM

evan4244 said:
In my country,i couldnt find a good CF-ready mobo.So,CF isnt a viable option for me.


On your current res, I would still go for the i5 combo.

Even if you do upgrade to 1680x1050, the 5770 is still good.

Where do you live?
m
0
l
June 8, 2010 6:39:17 PM

I live in Bangladesh.Why do you prefer i5 combo?
m
0
l
a c 203 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
June 8, 2010 7:00:36 PM

i3 530 and 5770 should be "good enough" for CPU-intensive games.
m
0
l
June 8, 2010 7:19:52 PM

evan4244 said:
I live in Bangladesh.Why do you prefer i5 combo?


Ok, don't know any good webshops there, I'm afraid.

I'd choose that combo as the i5 is generally a much better than the i3 and the 5850 will be extreme overkill at 1280x1024.

However, if you are planing to upgrade your monitor soon as you said, the i3 combo might be a better choice for gaming. For certain games that only use two or less cores the i3 will actually be better as the clock speed of the i3 is much higher.

What is the availabity when it comes to AMD over there?
There are several AMD CPUs that are better choices for gaming than the i3 and that also cost less.



m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2010 10:02:35 PM

^ +1

On a lower resolution a 5850 is going to be pushing some frames and a quad would help in quad optimized games (unless you plan on OCing the i3 to 4ghz+). If you're upgrading the monitor to a higher resolution then go with i3.

+1 To checking out AMD options as well.
m
0
l
!