Hard Drive Issue

CntrlAltDel

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hi, I have a Samsung HM500JL 500GB S-ATA Hard drive which has some issues. I had problems formatting the drive but I managed to get through that. Another problem arises once I formatted the drive. When I try to transfer files over to the hard drive I get a burst of speed at the start of the transfer from about 110-120mbps and then it slacks down from there to around about 2-8mbps and stays at that rate whilst dropping and increasing but not pass 8mbps. I had an idea that it may be because of the file types I'm sending over. So I tried sending a 700mb .AVI file over and it was done in no time. The moment I send multiple files then it decides to drop in transfer speeds. Also when I send multiple files then the hard drive tends to stop working in the middle of the transfer, like halfway through and then I gets an error message saying "the transfer directory does not exist". I have a gut feeling that this is due to a lack of power because the original 320 GB hard drive was removed and replaced with a 500 GB hard drive. I've tried using a different hard drive case and came up with the same problem. The hard drive case that I use has 2x output adapters, one for power and the other for data transferring. So it’d make sense if I needed a hard drive case which has an A/C power input on it. The other external hard drive that I own which has an 320 GB hard drive which I left untouched basically still works fine, transfers at 12-32mbps depending on the files and is very consistent where file transferring is concerned. It doesn't fail or anything. I've tried connecting the 500 GB hard drive straight to the motherboard's SATA adapter and it worked fine. No inconsistency and no drops in the middle of the file transfer. So if anyone knows how I can fix this problem please do share your knowledge.

CntrlAltDel

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

I'm not sure what you mean here

CntrlAltDel

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

When it comes to PC's, I know a bit of everything. But this is the first time I'm working in the field where I need to recover data. So I've no idea what you mean

RealBeast

Titan
What I mean is use some software running off your OS drive (or even portable software) to recover your data files and save them elsewhere -- only then should you start messing with the drive to test it, format it or whatever. If you write to the problem drive you can lose more data if it is written over.

Bottom line: save the data first. Worry about the drive later.

There are many good data recover programs, many cost money (like Easeus) and a few are free and good like Recuva.

CntrlAltDel

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

i've used both of those programs. non work. I'm currently using "recover my files" and it seems to be doing the trick, although its been running for 7 hours and only moved around 2%