$650 Budget/gaming pc

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 29, 2010 4:23:58 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Tuesday 3/28/10
BUDGET RANGE: Max $700 before rebates, but would prefer lower than the price i have now ($640)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, movies, web browsing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: www.newegg.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Would prefer to stick with known brands

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, but nothing too major
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No, will just pop in a newer gpu after this one gets outdated

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200 CRT

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am on a tight budget but still looking to build a computer that can play most of the newer games on mid-high settings. However, I won't be playing heavily graphic intense games like crysis. though. I picked out most parts already, but would like a final critique before i order in 2 days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
$75 AMD Athlon II x3 435 2.9GHz Processor
$95 GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 Motherboard
$120 G.SKILL Ripjaws 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CL 7 RAM
$55 Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD
$150 HIS Radeon 5770 1GB Video Card
$25 Sony Optiarc DVD/CD RW Drive
$80 Antec EarthWatts 650W Power Supply
$70 Antec Three Hundred Illusion Case

Subtotal = $670
-12 cpu/motherboard combo
-20 psu/case combo

*I know the 650W is overkill for my 5770 but I'm really set on getting the Antec Three Hundred Illusion, so the psu comes out to $60. I'll probably reuse it again in future builds so i don't mind splurging a bit more for the psu.

More about : 650 budget gaming

Best solution

March 29, 2010 5:03:32 AM

^ Good build...
Some suggestions...

1. Check out these combos...
X3 435 + ASUS 5770 - Better card with nice and easy overclock options...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

2. Mobo + RAM
Gigabyte 770 + Crucial 4GB DDR3 - Looks slow, but has very good overclocking headroom and is of very high quality IMO...Check the TOMs this month SBMs...these all have the Crucial RAMs and also gives a good overview of those...

3. PSU + DVD
Sony + OCZ 550W Fatality - Modular and is of very good quality too...
March 29, 2010 5:45:59 AM

gkay09 said:
^ Good build...
Some suggestions...

1. Check out these combos...
X3 435 + ASUS 5770 - Better card with nice and easy overclock options...

2. Mobo + RAM
Gigabyte 770 + Crucial 4GB DDR3 - Looks slow, but has very good overclocking headroom and is of very high quality IMO...Check the TOMs this month SBMs...these all have the Crucial RAMs and also gives a good overview of those...

3. PSU + DVD
Sony + OCZ 550W Fatality - Modular and is of very good quality too...

Thanks for the suggestions, but they all would require more $$$ which I'm trying to save right now. I'm using the money saved to buy a headset, mousepad, etc. from a local store.

Out of curiousity, how much better is the ASUS 5770 CuCore than the HIS one that i picked out? I assumed they were all pretty much the same so i just picked the cheaper one.
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2010 6:07:12 AM

Well did you calculate the total with the above combos ?
CPU + GPU - $220
Mobo + RAM - $185
PSU + DVD - $80
CASE - $70
HDD - $55

Total - $610 - If am not wrong, nearly all the components have Free Shipping...
And that ASUS card has better components on board, better cooling and better warranty...
m
l
March 29, 2010 5:38:34 PM

kk I fixed. Thanks for the help, just saved me 25 bucks :) 

Any other advice?
m
l
March 29, 2010 6:22:51 PM

It would be good to overclock to get a bit of a performance boost (and if you are lucky unlock the 4th core). You would want a decent CPU cooler like a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ ($30). Even the cheaper 92mm version called Hyper TX3 ($20) will handle light overclocking.
m
l
March 29, 2010 8:04:46 PM

Best answer selected by sandbag.
m
l
March 29, 2010 8:06:43 PM

The problem with the hyper212 is that it now costs $42 because the price went up and the $7 shipping fee.

Is the $25 hyper tx3 a lot better than the stock HSF?
m
l
March 29, 2010 11:21:25 PM

Right now the Sunbeam Core contact freezer is $40 ($25 after $15 MIR) and free shipping. (follow obsidian's link)

And yes even the TX3 is far better than the stock heatsink, So is the Arctic Freezer Pro 7. Both are decent 92mm coolers. They get noisier faster than 120mm heatsinks because they have to move more air to keep things cool with the smaller fin area.
m
l
March 30, 2010 2:17:20 AM

I have a few questions about the parts you chose gkay.

The speed of the ram is only 1033, but people have told me that if i plan on overclocking i should get minimum 1333/1600. Are the other speeds simply overkill and for enthusiasts or did you suggest it from a budget standpoint?

I read a few reviews on the ocz power supply. Apparently it has problems with cable length.
Quote:
Manufacturer Response:Hello, we are sorry that you had cable length problems. This usually occurs when running a case that mounts the PSU on the bottom. Bottom mount cases do not follow the standard ATX design, and most case manufacturers will send you the extension cables free of charge.
Thank you

Reason being I can't wait another week for longer cables should this be the case. As this is my first time building my own pc, i don't have the luxury of having spare cables, etc. I'd like this to be flawless and easy with no hassles.
m
l
March 30, 2010 4:00:26 AM

CM Hyper 212+ for $30 with Free Shipping @ amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-G1-Univ...

As for your questions -
1. About the RAM -
The RAM I have chosen though only has a rating of 1066MHz, but is capable of reaching higher speeds without any issues...And also it has CAS 7 meaning generally you can loosen the timings and set higher speeds meaning you can set it to run at 1333MHz with CAS 8 or 1600MHz CAS 9...And also those RAMs are overclocker friendly and I have seen many people running those at 1333MHz CAS 7 without much voltage increase too...

As for the case, I think it will only be an issue if you are using a Full tower case with bottom mount PSU, then the cables wont have enough length to reach the top of the mobo...For a mid tower, I dont think that would be an issue...
m
l
March 30, 2010 8:52:09 PM

I cant see having cable length issues in a 300. If you were getting a 1200 or HAF 932 then you might need some extensions. I could do soem better cable management in my 900 if the power cables were longer, but for the 300 it was pretty easy.
m
l
March 31, 2010 7:04:05 PM

I'm just too stuck on the gskill rams, partially because i hear too many good things about it and because of looks (it matches my motherboard :pt1cable:  ).

I also found a combo with my case, Antec Earthwatts 500Wfor $5 cheaper than the ocz+optical combo (Same rebate $).

Your Asus cucore 5770 that you suggested was perfect, but the price rose $10 and you now have to pay shipping as well. This prompted me to find a slightly cheaper 5770 with what looks to have a good cooler as well (Am I right on this?, or is the cucore still the better one?).

Now my build looks something like this
$158 Athlon II x3 435 & Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 combo
$120 G.Skill 4gb DDR3 1600 CAS7
$55 Seagate Barracuda 500gb
$175 MSI Radeon 5770
$25 Sony Optiarc DVD/CD RW Drive
$120 Antec 300 Illusion and Antec Earthwatt 500W combo

Total = $663
-$15 MIR for GPU (MSI 5770)
-$25 MIR for PSU (Antec Earthwatts 500w)
-$10 MIR for mobo (Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3)

$613
after MIRs

I'd like to thank everyone for their help, especially gkay and dndhatcher. However, I'd also like to apologize to gkay for partially not going through with some of his suggestions. But thanks to him, I was able to find cheaper parts. Can someone double check this build real fast and give me the okay before i order it?
m
l
April 1, 2010 1:05:21 AM

Yeah i checked out the xfx before. However, after this pc gets outdated i'll probably still use it for simple stuff like web browsing and office programs, so I don't see myself selling it anyway.

Is the MSI 5770 on par with the Asus CuCore one?
m
l
April 1, 2010 3:05:32 AM

Ok so i found yet another GPU. Can someone please help me pick out the better of the three?

Asus CuCore as recommended by gkay
MSI Hawk has dual fans
Gigabyte allegedly runs 18 degrees cooler with its 80mm fan and copper node
m
l
April 1, 2010 4:06:31 AM

^ All the 3 are very good...I would say get the one that has good combo deals...
m
l
!