Sign in with
Your question

Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus fan problem

Last response: in CPUs
June 8, 2010 12:57:21 AM

Hey guys, i just built a computer not too long ago, and it went well, until now. I noticed that my CPU fan (a cooler master hyper 212 plus) sometimes spins, and sometimes it doesn't? When i booted up one time the fan twitches but it fails to spin, so i shut my computer off, restart it and the fan spins normally. The next time i start the computer it does this again. Is the fan or motherboard at fault here, or do i have to set a fan setting or something in my motherboard bios? (gigabyte ga p55 usb3) here are my specs:

i5 750 processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus
corsair tx750
gigabyte ga p55 usb3 motherboard
geoforce 210 1gb gpu
antec 900 case
ripjaws 1600mhz ddr3 ram 4gb
WD 640gb hard drive

Thanks guys!
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2010 1:12:23 AM

Fans can wear out, even new ones, more than likely its your fan. If you feel the need to rma, go for it however if your impatient like myself, I would unmount it, clean it and then remove the sticker that says "if removed waranty is void" and use wd40 on the fan axel, then place the sticker back on there as if nothing ever happened. ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2010 1:51:39 AM

If you really think its the motherboard (probably not) but in case it is, you can check out the Hardware monitor or just look around, there are fan controls, you just have to look around. I would help you more but all motherboards are different!
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2010 1:53:18 AM

thanks for the response. but im not sure what you mean by using wd40 on the fan axel and replacing the sticker. also i really dont want to rma because it is a tedious process and ive never rmad anything before. is there anything else i can check such as the bios settings? thanks again
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2010 2:06:26 AM

k3v1n_123 said:
Hey guys, i just built a computer not too long ago, and it went well, until now. I noticed that my CPU fan (a cooler master hyper 212 plus) sometimes spins, and sometimes it doesn't? When i booted up one time the fan twitches but it fails to spin, so i shut my computer off, restart it and the fan spins normally. The next time i start the computer it does this again. Is the fan or motherboard at fault here, or do i have to set a fan setting or something in my motherboard bios? (gigabyte ga p55 usb3) here are my specs:

i5 750 processor
corsair tx750
geoforce 210 1gb gpu
antec 900 case
WD 640gb hard drive

Thanks guys!

the hyper 212+ is a PWM controlled, that means the motherboard will adjust the fan speed according to the cpu load. the more heat the cpu generates, the faster the fan will spin. go in your mobo bios and look for "cpu fan control" or something.
if your temps are good under load, then there is no need to change anything, since the 212+ can be loud under full speed.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2010 8:17:49 AM

Possibly it uses only the passive cooling when not under load. Make sure you set the CPU temp alarm in the BIOS though.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
June 8, 2010 3:32:21 PM

My 212+ spins up as soon as I push the button. I'm not sure it has any delay at all. You can try cleaning or just replace the fan.
m
l
June 8, 2010 3:47:46 PM

k3v1n_123 said:
also i really dont want to rma because it is a tedious process and ive never rmad anything before.

If you've never RMA'd anything before how do you know it's a tedious process?

Have you tried bypassing the controller on the motherboard, (you'll probably need to plug another fan there temporarily), and plugging the CPU fan directly to power and see how it reacts? You might also try turning PWM off so your fan runs full bore from the get go.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 8, 2010 3:57:46 PM

k3v1n_123 said:

i5 750 processor
corsair tx750
geoforce 210 1gb gpu
antec 900 case
WD 640gb hard drive

Thanks guys!

my asus p53e pro used to do the same with cpu cooler, I just turn off the cpu fan control in the bios, and after that it worked just fine. sometimes the mobo puts too little voltage on the cpu fan, so the fan fails to spin.
m
l
!