wolfman123bugs

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Ok, so I need some help troubleshooting... About a week ago I came home to find my pc turned off. I try and turn it back on and nada. Turns out the Q_Led says the CPU is bad. A local shop confirmed both the board and cpu were indeed dead. I RMA'd the board and bought a new CPU. Got the last of the parts today, so of course put 'er back together and bam, Q_led says the CPU is bad again. Literally first boot a big red LED saying bad CPU. No post, no beeps, no activity other than the hdd and fans spin up.

What else other than a DOA mobo/cpu could cause the cpu to fail instantly? PSU?, VGA? Please help me before I go insane!!

system specs:

i5-750
Asus Maximus III Formula
G SKill ripjaws 1600
8800 GTX (still saving :) )
OCZ 700w modular PSU
2x Baracuda 750gb

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
A failing psu is my guess, it probably overheated and now isn't functioning properly something along the lines of providing too much voltage, which can kill off any of your components at a moments notice. Although it generally has a bunch of regulators to prevent this, it is still possible.

wolfman123bugs

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

Yes, all the pins showed the correct voltage, within % of variance. Like 11.97v, 3.36v, 5.05v or something like that. Would it be possible that under load (hdds, fans, pumps) running that it could actually be delivering too little power and acting like it over powering it?

the maximus iii has direct terminals for measuring voltages, I'll measure the cpu voltage when it powers up.

wolfman123bugs

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
ok, so I just checked the cpu voltage via ProbeIt and it read really strange. It started at 0.00v and climbed in .01v increments to 0.17 volts when I quit measuring. It took about 10 seconds to climb. Im not sure what that says about the problem though.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Your psu, you should rma it, sounds like its just given up the gost and can no longer work as it should, if you try a different psu, you should see if your current mobo and cpu will work. Its a long shot but they may not be fried

wolfman123bugs

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Thanks Ubrales, I tried that already however...thats how I came checked all of my voltages.

It did turn out to be the PSU causing the issue. Even though the voltages and all read correct, I wasnt able to check the amperage. I went to best buy and bought the cheapest psu i could find, (400w dynex). Plugged it in and it boots right up. Bare minimums though, 1 hdd, 1 detuned 8800gtx, 1 rad fan and water pump.

I guess I'll run on bare minumum till I can figure out which psu I should get.

Exzess

Distinguished
May 27, 2010

If the voltage was fine then the amperage should have been good too.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
I suggest that you dont use your computer at all until u get a decent psu. running a system on a generic psu witha 8800gtx is like begging your system to die.

TRENDING THREADS