Sign in with
Your question

Help, New Computer Wont Work.

Last response: in Systems
March 29, 2010 5:56:14 AM

Hi, I jus Built My Own Computer, which of course was a bad idea. It was working great for about a month. I replaced The Mother Board and The Power supply and still wont turn on. I got it to power the fans on at a really high speed but still not responsive. I took out the ram and Graphics Card, and still not responsive. The Green Light on the Mother Board is lit up. I'm not sure what to do.

Specs.
Power Supply: 600 W Thermaltake.

Cpu: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 775 Socket

MotherBoard: Asus P5G41-M LX2, G41 Chipset, DDR2, PCI Exp 16.

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT, 512 MB,DDR2,DVI-I,HSCP

Ram:D DR2 667mhz

More about : computer wont work

March 29, 2010 3:46:10 PM

I feel your pain. Definitely go through the guide above, which is very good. A lot of times it's a simple mistake. But I wouldn't hesitate to start RMA'ing components once you've gone through that... of all the PCs I've put together something like a 1/3rd of them shipped with a bad motherboard. Same with graphics cards. I've never seen bad ram or a bad CPU (that wasn't overclocking related) so those components would be low on my suspect list. The thing that stinks is that most of the time you're still going to get signs of life from a bad component or it will work some of the time. At some point though after going through the checklist you have to throw in the towel and send it back
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 80 V Motherboard
March 29, 2010 7:15:49 PM

1/3 of your motherboards and GPU's have been DOA?! That's crazy. Do you not take any static discharge precautions or something? I've been building systems for years. Faulty motherboards are very rare and faulty GPU's are even more rare. I've seen faulty RAM far more often than any other component, and even that is very rare.
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a c 156 V Motherboard
March 29, 2010 10:02:24 PM

I echo shortstuff's comment. You are either doing something wrong, or you are guilty of uneducated troubleshooting. Even ECS isn't that bad.

My vote for most likely faulty component is the power supply, simply because there is just so much junk out there.

I admit that I have probably been luckier than most, but out of the 20 or so builds, the only bad component I have received was a sort of flaky Acer CD drive back in 1998.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 31, 2010 2:56:55 AM

!/3 DOA ??? Try something like 3% ... Manufacturers figgered out (long ago) that a "zero defect" QC policy would net them most profits, in the long haul ... Something about the cost of RMAs and board fixes. . . .

STATIC ?? Not hardly ... unless your first name is Nikola !

http://ghostradio.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/tesla.gif

m
l
March 31, 2010 3:07:50 AM

Ha ha, well it could be static! I mean it's all anecdotal on a small sample size so maybe I was just unlucky, and take that for what it's worth. I should note that it was actually specific components that failed on the motherboards so no, they weren't completely DOA. But when you get a board with non functioning components a half working PC is just as bad, if not worse. My main point is when you've carefully gone through the checklist there comes a point where you just have to start replacing components
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 31, 2010 3:19:40 AM

Not sayin' it doesn't happen ... I've been doing corporate TS for 35 years ... I grok the stats ... I stick with my original post ... WILL SOLVE/ISOLATE.

... not just "most of the time", either.

= Alvin = I would even argue that with the Author.

m
l
!