Msgina.dll is not valid

Lneedshelp

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
My computer is giving me an error message;
The application or DLL C:\Windows\system32\MSGINA.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
At this point nothing works - the only thing it will accept is to hit the OK button.
Then another error message -
The application or DLL C:\Windows\system32\UxTheme.dll is not a vaid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
Nothing works again except hitting the ok button.
Then another message - The logon user interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load.
Contact your system admin to replace the DLL or restore original DLL. Then it only lets you hit the restart button - then the whole process starts again.
The system wont let me do anything, F8 after restart will come up but I can't get any of the modes to work, I've tried starting Last Know Good Configuration, it goes right back to the first error message. I've tried Safe mode command prompt, VGA Mode, Debugging Mode, I've tried each choice, it wont let me get into anything else.
Any ideas as to what I have to do would be very much appreciated!!!

This can happen if you install a programme that installs its own gina file that takes over from Microsoft's own file. Run a file search for the string - **gina.dll and see how many you find. Delete any which aren't msgina.dll - the utility that installed it will probably still work.

Lneedshelp

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Thank you for the help, but it wont let me into anything, is there another command prompt that will let me in to run the search?

Good point and it reminds me I shouldn't post so early in the day without reading threads properly. Sorry about that.

If you have an XP CD, the first Repair option will shows you a Command Prompt at which you could run the search. If not, a Linux operating system which can run as a Live CD and allow you access to the hard disk is a good alternative - PCLinuxOS is free from http://www.pclinuxos.com and ImgBurn is a good, free burner of bootable CDs.

One more workaround is to take out the hard disk and slave it to the system you're posting from but that needs a USB converter.