Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Transmit FM signal from laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
September 8, 2004 12:45:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Anybody ever hear of a PCMCIA card (or other laptop-friendly device)
that can broadcast FM? I want to use my laptop to play music through
any nearby FM receiver.

thanks,
Sean

More about : transmit signal laptop

September 8, 2004 8:09:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I bought a device that fed my portable CD/MP3 player into the radio of my van.
A mini plug into the CD player and it sent an FM carrier that the van radio
received. Only worked so-so. Maybe there are better ones. I bought it at Best
Buy for about $20.

There is also a device that looks like an audio cassette and it slips into the
cassette player. It couples the audio via magnetic waves from the faux cassette
into the heads of the tape player. Again so-so performance. Again at Best Buy.





On 8 Sep 2004 08:45:04 -0700, delphiconsultingguy@yahoo.com (Sean) wrote:

>Anybody ever hear of a PCMCIA card (or other laptop-friendly device)
>that can broadcast FM? I want to use my laptop to play music through
>any nearby FM receiver.
>
>thanks,
>Sean
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2004 8:09:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I think what you are lookuing for is called the iRock. You can get it at
Radio Shack, and they work pretty well although they can be a bit finnicky.
They work off the earphone/audio out plug of any device--including your
computer.
"Joe" <weddy@rr.com> wrote in message
news:nebuj09k5ko2ln50r3q5eeonu3jrns1rum@4ax.com...
>I bought a device that fed my portable CD/MP3 player into the radio of my
>van.
> A mini plug into the CD player and it sent an FM carrier that the van
> radio
> received. Only worked so-so. Maybe there are better ones. I bought it at
> Best
> Buy for about $20.
>
> There is also a device that looks like an audio cassette and it slips into
> the
> cassette player. It couples the audio via magnetic waves from the faux
> cassette
> into the heads of the tape player. Again so-so performance. Again at Best
> Buy.
>
>
>
>
>
> On 8 Sep 2004 08:45:04 -0700, delphiconsultingguy@yahoo.com (Sean) wrote:
>
>>Anybody ever hear of a PCMCIA card (or other laptop-friendly device)
>>that can broadcast FM? I want to use my laptop to play music through
>>any nearby FM receiver.
>>
>>thanks,
>>Sean
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2004 8:42:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi Sean,

If you decide to go with the iRock, you might want to try the mod at;

~ http://www.vfaq.com/iRock/

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
~ He esteems too lightly



Old Time Harold wrote:

| I think what you are lookuing for is called the iRock. You can get
| it at Radio Shack, and they work pretty well although they can be a
| bit finnicky. They work off the earphone/audio out plug of any
| device--including your computer. "Joe" <weddy@rr.com> wrote in
| message news:nebuj09k5ko2ln50r3q5eeonu3jrns1rum@4ax.com...
|
|> I bought a device that fed my portable CD/MP3 player into the
|> radio of my van. A mini plug into the CD player and it sent an FM
|> carrier that the van radio received. Only worked so-so. Maybe
|> there are better ones. I bought it at Best Buy for about $20.
|>
|> There is also a device that looks like an audio cassette and it
|> slips into the cassette player. It couples the audio via magnetic
|> waves from the faux cassette into the heads of the tape player.
|> Again so-so performance. Again at Best Buy.
|>
|>
|>
|>
|>
|> On 8 Sep 2004 08:45:04 -0700, delphiconsultingguy@yahoo.com
|> (Sean) wrote:
|>
|>> Anybody ever hear of a PCMCIA card (or other laptop-friendly
|>> device) that can broadcast FM? I want to use my laptop to play
|>> music through any nearby FM receiver.
|>>
|>> thanks, Sean
|
|
|
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFBP4rs6bFq6mlbLOwRAomvAKCJ/1vrEUkPBHxf4EM8mdOcZgAOxQCgohg2
BcuL/SPXSIAnZ8TyhPoKwF4=
=GkZ3
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 8, 2004 10:18:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

C.Joseph Drayton wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Hi Sean,
>
> If you decide to go with the iRock, you might want to try the mod at;
>
> ~ http://www.vfaq.com/iRock/
>
> Ciao . . . C.Joseph

Cute mod, I may have to try that. Of course, I would look for a smaller
jack. Also, since I use NiMH rechargeables in my iRock, I'd skip the
disconnect feature and let the DC jack recharge the batteries in-circuit.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. Director, Highland Sun
http://www.symas.com http://highlandsun.com/hyc
Symas: Premier OpenSource Development and Support
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 9, 2004 12:12:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>Anybody ever hear of a PCMCIA card (or other laptop-friendly device)
>that can broadcast FM? I want to use my laptop to play music through
>any nearby FM receiver.
>
>thanks,
>Sean

Just get an IRock at Radio Shack like everyone else.


------------
When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 9, 2004 12:56:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> Anybody ever hear of a PCMCIA card (or other laptop-friendly device)
> that can broadcast FM? I want to use my laptop to play music through
> any nearby FM receiver.

There is a USB device sending FM with a range of about 20m around


--
Roland Mösl
http://www.pege.org Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://web-design-suite.com Web Design starts at the search engine
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 9, 2004 1:26:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

BTW, there is a rechargeable version so you don't have to do the mod.
Although I like the challenge.


"AndrewJ" <aaremodelingREMOVE@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:kt7vj05os5ofmi82n1jehnjohqk1div4bu@4ax.com...
>
>
>>Anybody ever hear of a PCMCIA card (or other laptop-friendly device)
>>that can broadcast FM? I want to use my laptop to play music through
>>any nearby FM receiver.
>>
>>thanks,
>>Sean
>
> Just get an IRock at Radio Shack like everyone else.
>
>
> ------------
> When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 9, 2004 11:29:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

The "TuneCase II" from Belkin is supposed to be one of the best of these
types of devices.


"Old Time Harold" <harold_maurerNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:7oqdnQR_m_YB06LcRVn-vg@comcast.com...
>I think what you are lookuing for is called the iRock. You can get it at
>Radio Shack, and they work pretty well although they can be a bit finnicky.
>They work off the earphone/audio out plug of any device--including your
>computer.
> "Joe" <weddy@rr.com> wrote in message
> news:nebuj09k5ko2ln50r3q5eeonu3jrns1rum@4ax.com...
>>I bought a device that fed my portable CD/MP3 player into the radio of my
>>van.
>> A mini plug into the CD player and it sent an FM carrier that the van
>> radio
>> received. Only worked so-so. Maybe there are better ones. I bought it at
>> Best
>> Buy for about $20.
>>
>> There is also a device that looks like an audio cassette and it slips
>> into the
>> cassette player. It couples the audio via magnetic waves from the faux
>> cassette
>> into the heads of the tape player. Again so-so performance. Again at Best
>> Buy.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On 8 Sep 2004 08:45:04 -0700, delphiconsultingguy@yahoo.com (Sean) wrote:
>>
>>>Anybody ever hear of a PCMCIA card (or other laptop-friendly device)
>>>that can broadcast FM? I want to use my laptop to play music through
>>>any nearby FM receiver.
>>>
>>>thanks,
>>>Sean
>>
>
>
!