Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS Xonar PCI-e will work in a PCI-e 4x slot?

Last response: in Components
June 8, 2010 4:47:22 AM

I heard that the ASUS Xonar PCI-e sound cards will fit into any PCI-e 4x slot. I have an ASUS P6T SE ATX X58 motherboard. It has a single PCI-e 1x slot and also a PCI-e 4x slot. The PCI-e 1x slot is located physically too close to the GPU slots, and it will either be physically obstructed by the big hulking GPU, or eventually get fried by the enormous radiant heat of the GPU.

Will the ASUS Xonar fit into the PCI-e 4x slot?

a b Ĉ ASUS
June 8, 2010 4:54:29 AM

Yes the xonar will work in the 4x slot.
m
l
June 8, 2010 9:11:16 AM

saaiello said:
Yes the xonar will work in the 4x slot.

Which sound card will give the best gaming sound quality, the ASUS sound card, or the creative Fatal1ty X-Fi?

The creative X-Fi cards are notorious for their driver problems. The ASUS sound cards don't have too many technical issues.

Would you recommend I get the ASUS or creative X-Fi?
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2010 9:53:26 AM

I have an x-fi and its great for gaming, but the Asus is superior for audio reproduction, if you want it for gaming just make sure the model supports EAX 5 and if you want it for surround sound movies, a few of the Asus cards dont support DTS so make sure you get one that does.
m
l
June 8, 2010 10:00:20 AM

No, if anything you'll notice the comparative poor quality of MP3s more using these cards through decent speakers.

It's the encoding method more than anything that affects the quality of the MP3s, and an iPod has nothing to do with anything.
m
l

Best solution

June 8, 2010 10:00:29 AM

Xonar - less hassle with the drivers and even though it doesn't support the later versions of EAX, game developers have been moving more towards open standards in recent years anyway.

Plus I believe the Xonar comes with software emulation of EAX 5 anyway, and the card has enough processing power to handle it.

AND the D2/D2X looks so sweet anyway - subtle orange ring and lit jacks. We got a couple in our HD edit suites in the office and they're very nice.
June 8, 2010 10:02:00 AM

Collie147 said:
I have an x-fi and its great for gaming, but the Asus is superior for audio reproduction, if you want it for gaming just make sure the model supports EAX 5 and if you want it for surround sound movies, a few of the Asus cards dont support DTS so make sure you get one that does.

Do any of these sound cards improve the audio quality of MP3's? Especially before and after you put them onto an ipod?
m
l
June 8, 2010 10:03:18 AM

Best answer selected by ambam.
m
l
June 8, 2010 2:01:37 PM

If you google "creative x-fi driver problems" you will get more results than you ever dream of. I'll probably end up getting the ASUS.
m
l
!