Xmp & overclocking (ONLY FOR COMPUTER EXPERT)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazon

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Hello, friends

i have a complete ignorance by the overclocking issues so please correct my information if i was wrong
i want to purchase a new memory (F3-2800C11Q-16GTXD) which working on 2800 mhz & the idea of overclocking means making the (processor or ram ) to work above its standard speed which in my case is 2800mhz but i found that no processor (INTEL) support this ram speed
notice i have mobo GA-Z77X-UD4H WHICH SUPPORT THIS TYPE OF RAM

now my question is

1-DOES THESE RAM REQUIRE A PROCESSOR SUCH AS I7-3770K TO WORK PROPERLY OR IT CAN WORK ALSO WITH I7-3770 VERSION WHICH DOESN'T SUPPORT OVERCLOCKING

2-IF THE ANSWER WAS I7-3770K AND ONLY WITH THIS IS VERSION , IN THIS CASE THIS MEAN I WILL NEED TO BE INVOLVED IN SOME OVER CLOCKING ISSUES BUT DOES THIS CAN BE HAPPEN IN MANUAL WAY ( TRAIL & ERROR EXPERIENCE ) OR IT WILL WORKING AUTOMATICALLY WITH ENABLING XMP FEATURE

3-DOES ENABLING XMP FEATURE MEANS OVERCLOCKING WILL BE REQUIRED FOR THE PROCESSOR TOO , IN ANOTHER TERMS OVER CLOCKING MEMORY DOES IT REQUIRE OVER CLOCKING PROCESSOR

4-MY LAST QUESTION ABOUT THE DANGEROUS AND THE EFFECT OF OVERCLOCKING

PLEASE REPLY ON ME IF YOU HAVE THE ENOUGH & RIGHT KNOWLEDGE OF ISSUE BECAUSE THIS MATTER MAKE ME CONFUSED

THANKS FORWARD FOR EVERYONE

Solution
Hi,

1) The 3770K and 3770 both have IMC's (Integrated Memory Controllers) so any overclocking of the RAM is done via the CPU which means that there will be variations in overclocking performance, some 3770's will be able to handle 2800Mhz RAM but I would imagine most cannot. However it's a silicon lottery.

2) For a memory speed as high as 2800Mhz you'll need to manually tweak the memory and appropriate voltages (VCCSA, VCCIO, VDIMM)

3) You can overclock memory without overclocking the CPU in most cases by using the appropriate memory ratio and BLCK value.

4) Read up on Ivy Bridge memory overclocking, make sure you follow the guidlines and stay within safe operating voltages and temps.

Just to note that super high memory speed (E.G...
Hi,

1) The 3770K and 3770 both have IMC's (Integrated Memory Controllers) so any overclocking of the RAM is done via the CPU which means that there will be variations in overclocking performance, some 3770's will be able to handle 2800Mhz RAM but I would imagine most cannot. However it's a silicon lottery.

2) For a memory speed as high as 2800Mhz you'll need to manually tweak the memory and appropriate voltages (VCCSA, VCCIO, VDIMM)

3) You can overclock memory without overclocking the CPU in most cases by using the appropriate memory ratio and BLCK value.

4) Read up on Ivy Bridge memory overclocking, make sure you follow the guidlines and stay within safe operating voltages and temps.

Just to note that super high memory speed (E.G 2800Mhz) won't give you much of a performance increase in most applications Vs lower memory speed like 1866Mhz.
In my opinion the small performance advantage is not worth the increased risk or cost.

Solution

mazon

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
many of mu frind advice me to not purchase 2800mhz as there's a tiny improvement in performance in comparison with 1600mhz
and you make this certain to me
thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.