OCZ SSD buying advice?

XRWKEN

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Hey guys,
Im looking at jumping into a OCZ SSD, right now Im on a WD Black, 640 gig HD.
I dont know much about the SSd's.
The reason Im thinking of a OCZ is I can get a extra 15% off my purchase.
Would you guys recommend a OCZ, If so what one?

I do a lot of online gaming (BF3)
I also look at a lot of pdf blue prints for estimating. I store all my pdf prints on my secondary hard drive.

Thanks in advance for your input

Hitch

Solution
Samsung 830 and Intel 520 drives are are, and above the most recommended drives here. They are more expensive, but they seem to have better reliability.

I'm sure there are users here with OCZ drives, and nothing but positive things to say and likely you would be fine going with them.

Personally I won't look at anything other then the Samsung/Intel line after dealing with 5 corsairs failing within a year on me.

tomatthe

Distinguished
Samsung 830 and Intel 520 drives are are, and above the most recommended drives here. They are more expensive, but they seem to have better reliability.

I'm sure there are users here with OCZ drives, and nothing but positive things to say and likely you would be fine going with them.

Personally I won't look at anything other then the Samsung/Intel line after dealing with 5 corsairs failing within a year on me.

Solution

tomatthe

Distinguished
Wow those prices are terrible, I just paid $140 no rebates for the 128g laptop kit. I would hold out a bit, and start watching deal sites for them. Pretty sure the Amazon prices are lower then newegg currently even after the 15% discount.

tomatthe

Distinguished
Kind of have to make that call yourself. I went with the 128g, basically because I couldn't afford the 256g one. I run a few games, and the OS off that drive and have 3 x 1tb drives for music/pics/vid etc. 120/128g seems to be what most people are going with currently as the 256g ones are just so expensive.

Here is my standard recommendation that I usually post when someone asks:

If reliability and stability is a major concern, then I recommend Samsung. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Then Samsung released their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's as successors to the 470. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. The ssd's are Samsung's own design with their own components and firmware. Samsung got it right again.

EDIT - NEW INFO - Lately we've been seeing articles and posts about Toggle Nand being superior, faster, and/or lasting longer than some of the other types. I've never mentioned it before but Samsung just happens to use Toggle Nand.

Another good choice is the Crucial m4. It is popular with gamers and enthusiasts. Intel is also worth considering.

Here is a link to the ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-st [...] abase.html

Scroll down to the Samsung section or other brands you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.