Problems with Saphire 4890 Vapor-X 1GB

pipelayer83

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Hi everyone. I have an issue that seems difficult to diagnos.

I have a Saphire Vapor-x 1GB HD4890

This problem began a while back but it seems to progressivly get worse with time.

It began with the card not booting properly when you turn the comp on.

Before Mobo bois boot the system would just hang and my Mobo wasn't displaying any trouble codes (Asus P45 Maximus Formula 2). What is bizzare is that you can hit the power button it will turn off then turn it back on and it will boot correctly with no problems. It is very speratic at when it decides when it will boot or not.

Now I have BattleField bad company 2 and the game worked fine for days. However now occasionaly during game play the card will freeze forcing an only option of pushing the reset button.

I thought that this just might be needing a driver update, so I installed the newest 10.2 off of ATI's site.

Now I have no game play what so ever. I can go through menus, but when the actuall game plays it crashes hard immedatly. I tried reverting back to old windows update drivers and it works but still crashes occasionaly.

I have windows 7 64bit and I have not ever overclocked this card. I also have a good 700w SLI power supply in case.

Any help would be great. I am so frustrated with this ATI product right now, I'm even considering to swith back to NVidia.

pipelayer83

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

Can you read how much ampers does it give on the +12V rails?

When you open your case (if you can open it, that is) it should be written on the side/back with a lot of info: +5V, +3.3V, +12V, etc... We need the exact model or those numbers.

Cheers!

pipelayer83

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks for the help guys, however It is still under warrenty and last night it finally gave up. I was playing battlefield and black artifacts began to appear everywere and followed by system crash. Now it won't play at all. I spoke with the manufacture and I guess they haven't yet announced a recall, but they have had a number of reports of this exact issue with the card not booting during post and then leading to card damage. I am getting a replacement, but I will be selling it and moving on to a better quality card like the XFX 5870. I recommend (NO ONE) buy this card. I had it for only 5 months and never overclocked it or misinstalled hardware or software. Just a bad product.

TRENDING THREADS