Sign in with
Your question

Sata power cable too short

Last response: in Systems
March 29, 2010 1:36:54 PM

Hi all, this might sound quite silly as this is my first build and there is probably an easy solution but I need some help please. I placed my cd drive in the top bay and 2x sata hard drives at the bottom of the case. The power lead has 3 sata connectors but if I plug in the 2 HDD then the other power lead won't reach the cd drive. Is there like an extension lead I can buy or will I have to cut and lengthen 1 for the top drive? Oh the psu is at the bottom of the case.

More about : sata power cable short

March 29, 2010 9:30:29 PM

You will need to either buy an adapter or like the one kaa0653 mentioned or try moving your drives closer together.
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2010 10:18:06 PM

The simplest approach, if your PSU only has one SATA power lead, is to use a molex->SATA adapter on a PSU molex lead if you do not want to move your drives.
m
l
March 30, 2010 1:27:16 AM

Thanks for your quick replies. It seems I'll be going back to the shop today to get one of these adapters as I don't want to move my drives. I just find it hard to believe that they make these cables so short. I would have to move the optical drive to the lowest bay and my hard drives to the highest just to make the cable reach.
m
l
March 30, 2010 2:05:46 AM

Extension but doesn't the psu have another set of connectors you can use? You can cut and lengthen ofcourse but personally I wouldn't want to cut it on a new psu. Especially for the warranty.

Anyway, extension...
m
l
!