Dual quad-Xeon configuration Vs. fast dual core configuration

AKS111

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hello,
which CPU configuration is better, fast dual core or Dual quad-xenon?
Like to know what is the difference actually between two. so that i can choose one.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Depends on the workload. If the application is highly threaded, then it would perform better. If the application is not highly threaded (single-threaded or limited to two threads) then the dual-core would be better.

We need a better idea of what you are trying to do.

There is a significant difference between the two making a general comparison rather difficult --- like comparing a conventional desktop to a 2P workstation - LOL - which is what you are asking.

A single fast proc (either dual or quad) is a formidable system but as noted above in a specific environment a 2P workstation would run a 1P desktop config into the ground.

A 2P rig is not a 'magic bullet' however; there are inherent difficulties (they are getting a bit better) in a NUMA (non-uniform memory) arch which can be a real buzzkill in specific instances.

AKS111

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Thanks amnotanoobie and Thanks wisecracker, but as I asked, that I need to know "What is the difference between these two processors". The base question that help me to sort out the selection.
In simple words, I dont find any notes/article that explain them but found lot of people there looks confused and used the term interchangeablly or just dual for both. that makes more dig to both as both are labelled dual.
naturally the quad- term gives rosy picture that it is naturally somewhat looks faster then just dual, but need to know the some sort of difference, even with some techinically, to know their working so that i can choose depending upon the software I am using. My software is a customized software that takes too much load on processor just for launch like splash screen display. As lot of things are going on the background. Contains com, activeX, some threads (not heavily threaded- so amnotanoobie answer looks somewhat clear) but there are lot of others factors that need to know for decision.
Thanks again for both of you. I will be looking for more on this.