Networking Options?

jakew120

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I'm building my first computer and I thought that I would get a cheap netbook to go with it.

But how should I go about making them a network? I really want the netbook just to be a window to my computer, but I get a bad feeling about security with that and if it can even be done.

What are my connection options? What hardware would I need?

Thank you.

(I was told to ask this here.)

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
What OS are you planning on using? Windows 7 has the concept of a Homegroup, that allows you to share between computers on the same network, this feature is available in Home Premium. If you want to use Remote Desktop, you have to get Windows 7 Pro. Earlier versions of Windows required that you set up a domain on your home network in order to share between computers, though the Home Premium (or similar) versions included remote desktop. With most versions of Linux, accessing other computers is relatively easy as well. In any case, no special hardware should be needed.

There aren't any unusual security implications to using a laptop/netbook/other computer to access your main computer. I mean, beyond being careful about your password, where you access it from, not sending your password in the clear from a public location, etc.

jakew120

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
So if I want to connect to my desktop wirelessly from the netbook I don't need any hardware? That doesn't sound right to me, but I am ignorant in the subject so I don't really know what I am talking about.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
You don't need anything that you wouldn't normally need.

1) desktop - with either wired connection or wireless (with a wireless card)
2) netbook - wireless connection
3) wireless router - which you would need in any case, for the netbook to wirelessly access the internet, etc.