Asus ROG G60VX HDD RAID?

Solution
They don't have to be identical. You can RAID drives of different sizes. If you wish to use all space available, you'll configure them as JBOD (just a bunch of disks).

If you want to increase performance with a RAID 0, you can also, but the small drive will determine how much space is used on the larger one. So your 320GB will be made into a 240GB drive and the rest of the space will be wasted.

It is recommended that both drives should be identical in every way possible, but its not necessary. For instance, if one drive were 5400rpm and the other 7200rpm, the 7200rpm drive would be forced to run at 5400rpm.

Thats how it works

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
No
HDDs (or SSDs) need to be exactly identical to be able to RAID them.

If you were to find an EXACT replica of the 320GB drive you already have, you could RAID them then, but keep in mind you will wipe all data when you build the RAID.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

When you said it need to be identical, does that mean by name brand, storage, RPM, and cache? All i want to know is that is it possible to raid them in the G60VX and how to do it and if i can...

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
To make sure you don't have a flaky RAID array, they need to be identical in all aspects, all the way down to the firmware version.
Some will report some success with matching capacity and speed, but the important word there is "some success". If you RAID 1, you will constantly see the RAID rebuilding itself. If RAID 0 you'll suffer frequent corruption and have to do reinstalls pretty frequently.
With these 240 and 320GB drive, you will not be able to RAID them.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

If im not able to raid them than can I raid and HDD/SSD on the G60VX? I'll till me brother to buy 2 120GB SSD and raid them if possible on the G60VX, I searched online and nothing show up as G60VX have raid on them... Just want to know if it's possible for the Asus G60VX to raid HDD/SSD

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I believe this laptop has RAID support, but I can't verify this for sure. I would suggest you investigate Asus support documentation to see if it does in fact have RAID support.

If it does (or you're going to RAID elsewhere), you can raid 2 drives in a RAID 0 (stripe) or RAID 1 (mirror). But those 2 drives should be identical. If you buy 2 (SSD/HDD) of the exact same type at the same time, those will be ok to RAID.
You may want to do some reading if this doesn't make sense - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

cirdecus

Distinguished
They don't have to be identical. You can RAID drives of different sizes. If you wish to use all space available, you'll configure them as JBOD (just a bunch of disks).

If you want to increase performance with a RAID 0, you can also, but the small drive will determine how much space is used on the larger one. So your 320GB will be made into a 240GB drive and the rest of the space will be wasted.

It is recommended that both drives should be identical in every way possible, but its not necessary. For instance, if one drive were 5400rpm and the other 7200rpm, the 7200rpm drive would be forced to run at 5400rpm.

Thats how it works

Solution