Sign in with
Your question

H100 insane temps with i5 3570k

Last response: in Overclocking
February 12, 2013 12:59:44 AM

umm...temps up to 100c with an h100 @ 4.5ghz 1.23v in IBT STANDARD MODE????? what the heck could be going on here...would love to know any suggestions. i bought the h100 off amazon used so ... idk....this is nuts though. any suggestions would be very appreciated bc im very angry righ about now.
February 12, 2013 1:53:31 AM

It happens because, by default, Ivy has horse sperm inside, instead of thermal paste.
It's a well-known fail of Ivy. The only two ways to fix it are:

1. Change horse sperm for a real thermal paste/liquid metal (usually people buy and use Nanoxia TF-1000, it's a liquid metal that helps significantly, but it's not cheap and it's not easy to get. Arctic Cooling MX-4 is much easier to find/get and it costs quite less, but of course, performs a little bit worse). The main problem in this method, is that you'll have to manually open the cap on your processor, and inexperienced people can easily make grave mistakes there.

2. Change Ivy for Sandy. Sandy has direct soldering, no horse sperm/thermal paste fillings at all (that's why it performs quite better than Ivy, at high clocks).

Basically, Ivy's horse sperm starts failing at 4.4~4.6 GHz and up, that's why below 4.4 it has decent temps, but at 4.5 and higher turns into a friggin' stove.
At frequencies lower than 4GHz Ivy is actually better than Sandy, but when it comes to high overclocking Ivy loses to Sandy in every aspect possible.
Of course, that goes only for default Ivy with default horse sperm inside, not in case if you change it to liquid metal or any other good thermal paste.

m
l
February 12, 2013 3:15:28 AM

ughhhhhh yes...ive heard this... i even swapped my chip out for an identical one hoping to hit the silcon lottery for more than i did with the first one...but i think i downgraded or made a lateral move at best...ugh...so delidding...i wonder...since i have the extended protection plan from micro center (dont even have to have box/receipt/anyting other than the chip and the stock hsf take it back and they replace it on the spot within 2 years) if i screw it up delidding couldnt i just take it back ..cus its no questions asked lol. anyway though, thanks for confirming what ive been told two or three times...ughhhh!!!!! i have some mx-2 sitting around (2 full tubes spare actually) would that work? or wouldnt that liquid metal stuff work wayy better? the charts ive seen for what you're talking about doing seem like ppl get wayyy more of a bonus using that nanoxia stuff than mx-4 or as5 ive even seen some ppl use lol. any comment on that?
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2013 3:15:37 AM

Best answer selected by clintwilks.
m
l
February 12, 2013 4:06:06 AM

clintwilks said:
I have some MX-2 sitting around (2 full tubes spare actually) would that work?

Well, it's older and somewhat worse than GODLIKE MX-4 (between the MX-2 and MX-4 usual temp differences are -5~-8 degrees Celsius, in MX-4's favor. MX-4 is the best "mainstream market" thermal paste you can get at this current moment. The only thing that's better is Nanoxia, but it's not a mainstream thing, quite expensive and hard to find), but it still will be much MUCH better than any of the stock garbage.

clintwilks said:
Wouldn't that liquid metal stuff work way better??

It's liquid metal compound, bro. It's heat throughput capacity's waaay higher than that of any standard thermal paste, and thus it traffics heat like a beast, resulting in a much better cooling overall. Of course it's much better....but it's harder to apply than any standard thermal paste, I must warn you.

P.S. Arctic Silver suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. %)
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:16:57 AM

well ..turns out i had my h100 mounted horribly on my processor. i re-did three times and third time my temps dropped by like 10c average ...now i can run very high ibt level 15 passes and not break 88c. i ordered some prolimatech pk-3 ...gonna try it out and see how it works versus this stock cooler master paste im using now.. (even this stuff beats as5 actually...) does anyone know what cooler master actually uses in those purple tubes of TIM thye send out with the hyper 212's and such?
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:23:50 AM

Did you open CPU's cap and changed pony's semen for a much better thing? Or are you going to wait for that Prolimatech's stuff delivered first?
m
l
February 16, 2013 12:40:47 AM

no i was reading up on it more first, still have pony semen in there. gonna wait on the pk-3 i think..dotn really have anything else that would be decent right now. only TIms i have right now are dow-corning DC-5121 (Enermax), cooler master stock paste that comes with hyper212 evo and as5.
m
l
February 16, 2013 1:06:43 AM

I suggest you read this, this and finally this (it's basically a "step-by-step" guide, it's in Japanese language only though, you can try and run it through Google's translate or something...there is also full-Russian translation available, but again...%)_).
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:03:57 AM

hjahaha i live in atlanta georgia and those translations well... anyway, with as many people that do it being successful first try, if i screw it up then i deserve to have a f'd up processor. at that point, i will attempt to make it look as close to it did when i bought it as i can and take it back to micro center and tell them i was using the stock HSF and dint realize teh fan went out on it or somethin idk..last time i burnt up a processor amd they didnt even ask me what happened to it i just told them i purchased the extended 2 year no questions asked protection plan and needed to swap it out even exchange and im not even sure they glanced at it besides making sure i brought back the stock HSF. so..here we go i guess.
m
l
February 16, 2013 3:09:46 AM

Post results later, here or in PM...I am really intrigued. %)
I do wish you the best of results.
m
l
!