Sigma Shark 635w PSU
2gb ddr2 800mhz
1TB WD Green 32mb cache
500GB Hitachi 16mb cache
Coolermaster Centurion 590
Acer 22" 1680 x 1050 monitor
Logitech x540 5.1

Questions
1.Which configuration is better for gaming 6GB (2 x 2GB + 2 X 1GB) VS 4GB (2 x 2GB)

2.Do fans for memory make sense in that would it prolong life and improve over-clocking (I think it is minimal)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3. How good is the A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 AD2U800B2G5-DRH
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-211-...
a b } Memory
December 3, 2010 3:39:22 AM

1. The 4GB config is the better one.. Games do not require more than that..

2. Fans for memory are mostly pointless.. They will just add up to the noise..

3. A-Data is among the lesser known brands/manufacturers.. Go for them only when none from the well known brands (Corsair,Kingston,G-Skill,Mushkin) are available..
December 3, 2010 4:04:03 AM

Emperus said:
1. The 4GB config is the better one.. Games do not require more than that..

2. Fans for memory are mostly pointless.. They will just add up to the noise..

3. A-Data is among the lesser known brands/manufacturers.. Go for them only when none from the well known brands (Corsair,Kingston,G-Skill,Mushkin) are available..

Why is the 4GB config is the better one is it because 6GB (2 x 2GB + 2 X 1GB) cannot run in Dual Channel Mode because of some reviews are saying more than 4GB ram is starting to make sense!!!
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,...
Related resources
a b } Memory
December 3, 2010 4:50:54 AM

6GB ram in the context you have mentioned can actually run in dual channel mode.. However, a 2 x 2GB config is better as it enables you to upgrade to 8GB (2 x 2GB) + (2 x 2GB) in the near future.. This further helps it to maintain uniformity as you can match all the modules from the same brand and make..
December 3, 2010 11:29:45 AM

Emperus said:
6GB ram in the context you have mentioned can actually run in dual channel mode.. However, a 2 x 2GB config is better as it enables you to upgrade to 8GB (2 x 2GB) + (2 x 2GB) in the near future.. This further helps it to maintain uniformity as you can match all the modules from the same brand and make..

NB: I already have (2 X 1GB) and I already ordered (2 x 2GB) does it make sense using 6GB until I can buy another 4GB will it work better performance wise (2 x 2GB + 2 X 1GB)
because the (2 X 1GB) would just be lying around
a b } Memory
December 3, 2010 12:07:41 PM

DO the stats on what you have and what you bought match ? ie. are they the same speed, voltage, latency -- if so and they run stable together then there is no reason not to use them all together (assuming you have a 64 bit version of windows - 32 bit versions can only address a total of 4gb. of ram so the 2x2 is all you'd need then)

If after adding the new modules your system is unstable due to a mismatch in the ram specs then you can test it with just the 4 gb.
December 3, 2010 12:38:05 PM

JDFan said:
DO the stats on what you have and what you bought match ? ie. are they the same speed, voltage, latency -- if so and they run stable together then there is no reason not to use them all together (assuming you have a 64 bit version of windows - 32 bit versions can only address a total of 4gb. of ram so the 2x2 is all you'd need then)

If after adding the new modules your system is unstable due to a mismatch in the ram specs then you can test it with just the 4 gb.

Cool! What to use to test 'memtest' how long to run it for?

Best solution

a b } Memory
December 3, 2010 3:26:02 PM

Quote:
6GB (2 x 2GB + 2 X 1GB) - is that a possible dual channel configuration or do all four sticks have to be the same.?

Each set of slots create a channel so yes a 2x1 and 2x2 config would run in dual channel mode (as long as they are placed properly - ie. 2x1 in one set and 2x2 in the other (sets depend on the MOBO setup and most are color coded so that you know which 2 slots are interconnected for dual channel mode) -- the modules in the set of slots have to match but the amount in each set of slots can differ.
a b } Memory
December 3, 2010 3:29:01 PM

Keep in mind that motherboards tend to sometimes act up with all 4 RAM slots populated with RAM when overclocking. I'm not saying that it will happen but more likely to...
December 10, 2010 2:02:23 AM

Best answer selected by Ray Charles.
a b } Memory
December 10, 2010 8:52:42 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
!