Sigma Shark 635w PSU
2gb ddr2 800mhz
1TB WD Green 32mb cache
500GB Hitachi 16mb cache
Coolermaster Centurion 590
Acer 22" 1680 x 1050 monitor
Logitech x540 5.1

Questions
1.Which configuration is better for gaming 6GB (2 x 2GB + 2 X 1GB) VS 4GB (2 x 2GB)

2.Do fans for memory make sense in that would it prolong life and improve over-clocking (I think it is minimal)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835116021

3. How good is the A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 AD2U800B2G5-DRH
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-211-188&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=1066&Page=1#scrollFullInfo
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming
  1. 1. The 4GB config is the better one.. Games do not require more than that..

2. Fans for memory are mostly pointless.. They will just add up to the noise..

3. A-Data is among the lesser known brands/manufacturers.. Go for them only when none from the well known brands (Corsair,Kingston,G-Skill,Mushkin) are available..
  2. Emperus said:
    1. The 4GB config is the better one.. Games do not require more than that..

2. Fans for memory are mostly pointless.. They will just add up to the noise..

3. A-Data is among the lesser known brands/manufacturers.. Go for them only when none from the well known brands (Corsair,Kingston,G-Skill,Mushkin) are available..

Why is the 4GB config is the better one is it because 6GB (2 x 2GB + 2 X 1GB) cannot run in Dual Channel Mode because of some reviews are saying more than 4GB ram is starting to make sense!!!
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778-8.html
  3. 6GB ram in the context you have mentioned can actually run in dual channel mode.. However, a 2 x 2GB config is better as it enables you to upgrade to 8GB (2 x 2GB) + (2 x 2GB) in the near future.. This further helps it to maintain uniformity as you can match all the modules from the same brand and make..
  4. Emperus said:
    6GB ram in the context you have mentioned can actually run in dual channel mode.. However, a 2 x 2GB config is better as it enables you to upgrade to 8GB (2 x 2GB) + (2 x 2GB) in the near future.. This further helps it to maintain uniformity as you can match all the modules from the same brand and make..

NB: I already have (2 X 1GB) and I already ordered (2 x 2GB) does it make sense using 6GB until I can buy another 4GB will it work better performance wise (2 x 2GB + 2 X 1GB)
    because the (2 X 1GB) would just be lying around
  5. DO the stats on what you have and what you bought match ? ie. are they the same speed, voltage, latency -- if so and they run stable together then there is no reason not to use them all together (assuming you have a 64 bit version of windows - 32 bit versions can only address a total of 4gb. of ram so the 2x2 is all you'd need then)

If after adding the new modules your system is unstable due to a mismatch in the ram specs then you can test it with just the 4 gb.
  6. JDFan said:
    DO the stats on what you have and what you bought match ? ie. are they the same speed, voltage, latency -- if so and they run stable together then there is no reason not to use them all together (assuming you have a 64 bit version of windows - 32 bit versions can only address a total of 4gb. of ram so the 2x2 is all you'd need then)

If after adding the new modules your system is unstable due to a mismatch in the ram specs then you can test it with just the 4 gb.

Cool! What to use to test 'memtest' how long to run it for?
  7. Best answer
    Quote:
    6GB (2 x 2GB + 2 X 1GB) - is that a possible dual channel configuration or do all four sticks have to be the same.?

Each set of slots create a channel so yes a 2x1 and 2x2 config would run in dual channel mode (as long as they are placed properly - ie. 2x1 in one set and 2x2 in the other (sets depend on the MOBO setup and most are color coded so that you know which 2 slots are interconnected for dual channel mode) -- the modules in the set of slots have to match but the amount in each set of slots can differ.
  8. Keep in mind that motherboards tend to sometimes act up with all 4 RAM slots populated with RAM when overclocking. I'm not saying that it will happen but more likely to...
  9. Best answer selected by Ray Charles.
  10. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR2 Product