Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Shrinking a partition

Last response: in Windows 7
December 22, 2009 7:42:18 PM

Apologies for cross-posting but this question seems to make more sense in the Windows 7 forum.

Intending to partition a 1TB drive to house partitions for Win7 (home pro), Ubuntu, and media storage. I wiped the drive, reinstalled Windows 7, defragged the dive and then shrunk the drive. Oddly Windows partition tool tells me that I can only shrink the initial partition down about 500GB. What's that all about? Win7 can't be eating up 490 odd gigs of space. Do I just ignore this?

More about : shrinking partition

a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2009 8:43:21 AM

have you checked to see whats using it? like right clicking on folders to view the size of the folder?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2009 9:01:25 AM

When you installed Windows 7, did you select custom and deleted all old partitions?

Right click on my computer (from the start menu), select Manage, and then click on Disk management.

How many partitions can you see, and what size are they?

.............................................................................................................
Ideally is best to create the partitions during windows 7 installations,
from Custom setup.

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2009 9:09:46 AM

You might want to check how much space is allocated for System Protection (probably quite a lot with a 1TB drive). Right click on "Computer" and select "Properties". Click on "System Protection" and then click the "Configure" button.

Space allocated here is taken into account when shrinking a partition, even if it is not actually in use.

Edit: Page files and hibernation files also affect the available space - these can be quite large if you have a decent amount of RAM.
December 23, 2009 11:14:04 AM

There is also a hidden partition for Windows recovery. There are shadow copies for system restore.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2009 11:24:23 AM

I wouldn't be so sure about a recovery partition on a self-installed Windows 7. In any case, such a partition would show in Disk Management (though not in Exporer).
m
l
December 23, 2009 3:59:23 PM

I really didn't trust windows so I decided to wipe the drive and use the following lifehacker article as a guide. So I used GParted to create a 75GB partition for Ubuntu and a 730ishGB partition for storage with 110GB up front for Windows 7. So far it seems to have worked fine except for some oddities around the NTFS Configuration Tool and Ubuntu's swap file which I don't seem to have set up.

Is there anything beyond what's outlined in the Lifehacker article I should be doing to keep Win7 happy and healthy?
m
l
!