Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Thermal Paste?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 12, 2013 2:48:08 AM

I'm getting ready to switch from my Stock AMD Heatsink to a CoolerMaster 212 EVO for my AMD FX 8120 CPU and I was wondering the best method to apply my Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. I know this question has been asked and debated forever but I thought I'd ask for myself.

I've heard that since AS5 paste is thicker than the spread method would be the best way but I'm not completely sure.

Please tell me your opinions of how I should proceed. Thanks so much!

More about : thermal paste

a c 125 K Overclocking
February 12, 2013 8:09:00 AM

Hi,

As you've said AS5 is quite thick so I'd opt for spreading it out manually rather than applying a pea sized amount in the center of the IHS and letting the cooler spread it out, though I expect both methods would yield similar results.

You could try both methods and find out for yourself as a little experiment! :) 

Best solution

a c 205 K Overclocking
February 12, 2013 9:00:40 AM

Rustyy117 said:
You could try both methods and find out for yourself as a little experiment! :) 

That's some very good advice, the best results is to know exactly what's going on under that heat sink, in stead of wondering!

And that requires mounting removing and inspecting the thermal footprint which I did many, many, many, times in the Thermal Compound Roundup in my sig.

AS5 was some great stuff in it's day, but there's much better products available today, that require zero curing time to reach maximum thermal conductivity.

The consistency of the thermal compound has everything to do with the application method and with AS5 being thicker I've always used the spread method applying it, just spread an even tissue paper thin layer and mount the heat sink.

The spread method also works best for Timtronics Grey Ice 4200, because it is a thicker consistency.

Thinner compounds like the Artic Cooling MX4, Prolima PK1, Zalman STG2, spread best using the pea, line, dual line, or X, depending completely on the heat sink base finish, allowing mounting pressure to do the spreading.

Check out the Thermal Compound Roundup even though it was done in 2011, it is still very much viable information.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 12, 2013 2:38:03 PM

One more question.

Say I use a thinner compound and just you the grain of rice, pea, etc method, I've noticed it iwll not cover the WHOLE cpu surface... is that a bad thing? I always thought you have to cover every tiny bit of the surface for it to work right.
February 12, 2013 2:50:19 PM

I used to spread because thats what the instructions stated in the zlaman manual that I bought like 10 years ago. I repair computers in an office building so we do a lot of board swaps. Spreading always worked fine. Then I saw this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyXLu1Ms-q4
Now I use the pea only becuase it is fastest and easiest. And that works fine too. I honestly don't think it matters either way. I think the key is to get the right amount. Too little wont work well, and too much makes a mess and a creates a thermal barrier.
a c 205 K Overclocking
February 12, 2013 3:03:51 PM

Nekoboy said:
One more question.

Say I use a thinner compound and just you the grain of rice, pea, etc method, I've noticed it iwll not cover the WHOLE cpu surface... is that a bad thing? I always thought you have to cover every tiny bit of the surface for it to work right.

Best rule of thumb is what did Intel or AMD provide as their stock cooling contact area, because if it was good enough to come with Intel or AMDs approval, it is good enough for you.
February 12, 2013 3:10:02 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Best rule of thumb is what did Intel or AMD provide as their stock cooling contact area, because if it was good enough to come with Intel or AMDs approval, it is good enough for you.

Good point. Thank you very much I'm going to check out what it looks like down there when I get my new Heatsink.
February 12, 2013 3:10:24 PM

Best answer selected by Nekoboy.
!