Migrating a HDD onto a momentus xt, and then on new platform

fedshark

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I'm upgrading from an older socket 775 based system to a I5, and I bought a seagate hybrid drive to go with it. My question is this: Is it possible to migrate my existing data and OS to the new system without having to reformat? If so, what programs would you recommend? Thanks.

Solution

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
If you're moving to a new motherboard/system, you need to reinstall from scratch. Drivers and software/hardware-interaction configurations are different.

If you have 2 systems, the easiest thing to do is build the new system, then create a network share to move your old data (not apps) from the old to the new. If you do only have the one system at the end of the day, just connect the old drive after you've built and patched Windows and then copy your data over.

But regardless, all apps and OS need to be reinstalled on the new system. You may find some forum threads where people successfully copied apps over, but they are very rare. Almost always you end up with crashes and bugs.

fedshark

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
My bad, I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. Someone this morning recommended Acronis True Image to me and said that you can use it to transfer a drive over to a new platform with programs intact. Does it actually work? I was hoping to find something like that, being that I have certain expensive licensed programs that I can't reinstall and would like to preserve. Should I just plan to keep my old system intact and build a second computer or is there any way to salvage my licensed programs?

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Acronis is only going to work it's magic if you are replacing a drive in the same system. But you've stated you're migrating to a completely new system, and therefore will require reinstallation.

I'm not sure what "expensive" application you're talking about, but these should have the ability to move from one system to another via reinstallation. Maybe you could clarify and we could advise better?

A trick that "might" work is to capture your old system as a virtual machine and run it within your new system, virtually. You can grab the old system with VMWare's vCenter Converter, and then use your old system inside VMWare Player. You'll need a decent amount of RAM for this, and if this "expensive application" is 3D intensive, then this option may not be the best. Also, if the "expensive application" ties with the CPU's s/n, the application will ask to be "activated" upon first launch in the new virtual machine.
Both of these tools are free.

The acronis true image home 2012 with plus pack can install to a new platform and yes it works.

On top of all the great benefits you get with our flagship software, this optional Plus Pack offers you an additional range of special features, like the flexibility to restore files, applications and an operating system to dissimilar hardware, as well as support for Dynamic Disks and Microsoft® WindowsPreinstallation Environments (WinPE).

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/#add-ons

Solution