Just got my 3-way SLI....

I just got my 3-Way SLI cards today... I ordered 3 Nvidia 285 GTXs (paid a little over $1400 plus tax, not too bad considering the POWER)... For the ultimate gaming experience... I have a slight issue though

I'm having an issue seeing a picture on the screen after installing two of the cards. If I install the third card, I got nothing. Was there something special you have to do to get this up and running.
10 answers Last reply
More about just
  1. lol that was just stooopid :P

whats your psu? hopefully over a kw unit?
  2. Hmm... I didn't think people still bought those...

List your full system specs and we'll help.

Unfortunately, I foresee this thread ending with the OP purchasing a $250+ power supply to compliment his $1400 in Nvidia silicon.
  3. That, and the fact he could return them for an HD5970 + HD5870 trifire and a $200 mobo and $160 CPU for the same price, :p.
  4. Well, I just built the computer, so I have an Asus P6T7 WS mobo and a PC power and cooling 860w power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703013

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131390

Still bought those? They are nvidias flagship product (with the exception of the 295, which I ALMOST bought 3 of but didn't want to dish out the additional 100 per card). I'm trying to keep this new rig top of the line for years to come
  5. That MOBO supports ATI CrossfireX. If I were you, and you wanted top-of-the-line, I'd get an HD5970 and an HD5870 for $400 less, which you can invest on liquid cooling if you wanted. Alternatively, $1,200 in 2x HD5970 would be beastly, and $200 could go into a Corsair 850Watt PSU.
  6. Quote:
    I just got my 3-Way SLI cards today... I ordered 3 Nvidia 285 GTXs (paid a little over $1400 plus tax, not too bad considering the POWER)... For the ultimate gaming experience... I have a slight issue though

the issue you have is a bit more serious than slight.
  7. shadow187 said:
    That MOBO supports ATI CrossfireX. If I were you, and you wanted top-of-the-line, I'd get an HD5970 and an HD5870 for $400 less, which you can invest on liquid cooling if you wanted. Alternatively, $1,200 in 2x HD5970 would be beastly, and $200 could go into a Corsair 850Watt PSU.

ATI has terrible linux support which I need to dual boot. I have an ATI in work and know for years how difficult it is to get going on my unix box. So, I'll have to stick with Nvidia.
  8. IIRC when Tri SLi was tested with GTX285's several sites said they had issues with anything less than a 1kw PSU.
  9. nfail said:
    the issue you have is a bit more serious than slight.

Not an issue, I just wanted to purchase the best nvidia cards out there. As I said, I'm not going the ATI route.
  10. You'll have to spend another $150 on an extremely high-end PSU.

Also, I thought it was a rather, "I can't go with ATI".
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SLI Nvidia Graphics Product