Cloning ssd to ssd windows xp

steviebilbo

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Hello,
I am replacing my current 16GB mini pcie SSD with a new 64GB SSD. My XP netbook (Asus Eee PC S101 does not have an DVD slot and I dont have an external model either. My OS and softward was installed directly onto the original SSD so no back up discs... I cant find a suitable docking station to do the job. Can anyone explain in simple terms what I need to do to solve this please. I have the ability to do the SSD change myself and have already practiced (removed the existing 16GB card once) but dont understand the software reinstallation requirements.

tomatthe

Distinguished
Are you are certain the netbook has a place for a full size 2.5" HD?

The Samsung 830 series has a laptop kit which connects to your machine via usb cable and lets you clone the current os to the new drive which should work for you.

Watch the video on this newegg link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147137

There are other options which basically do the same thing, this was just and easy way to see what I was talking about. Although I do recommend those drives in general.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Are you are certain the netbook has a place for a full size 2.5" HD?

The Samsung 830 series has a laptop kit which connects to your machine via usb cable and lets you clone the current os to the new drive which should work for you.

These EEE PCs use SSD cards that resemble SO-DIMMs. (img)

I've been scratching my head as to how to pull this off, but I can't think of anything that won't require a SATA port.

Therefore leaving the only suggestion at present is to actually reinstalling the OS and apps (which is going to be tricky given these systems don't come with restore CDs - no CDROM...).

steviebilbo

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Ok, I am still a little confused here - my bad btw... Are you suggesting (betweeen the two of you) I can buy some sort of case and cable to enclose and connect my new SSD to the S101 - I only have 3 USB ports available on that netbook. Assuming I can do this then is it a simple case of cloning via this connection? Which software do you think I should use and what sort of case and cable do I need? The new SSD is a Super Talent 64GB Mini PCIe MLC SATA Solid State Drive and just like my existing card it plugs straight into my mother board - as you say just like a SO-DIMM. Grateful for any more assistance out there guys! Thanks again ;-)

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I just found this - http://www.memoryc.com/storageproducts/hddenclosures/runcore70mm50mmpatasatapatacombominipcieexternalusbenclosureinclusbcable.html

I can't vouch for this what so ever, but on paper it's an external enclosure that could allow you to clone.

The additional tool you would need is a cloning software that could boot from USB, such as Acronis. If you can't enable it to boot from USB, you could attempt the clone via installing Acronis in Windows route. I don't typically like to clone this way, but it will typically work.

Essentially, the ideal configuration:
- remove old SSD and pop into the external enclosure
- physically install new SSD into EEE PC
- insert bootable USB containing Acronis (or alike) goodies
- boot from USB and clone through the wizard GUI
- When done, power off, remove USB Acronis/cloner as well as the SSD enclosure. Done.

If finding a bootable USB (or CD via USB-CDROM drive) is proving to be a problem, then the steps would be something like this:
- Old SSD still installed inside EEE PC
- Install Acronis (or similar)
- Run clone steps within Windows
- When done, power down and install the new SSD\

The problem with this last method is the MBR doesn't always copy correctly, but the 1st set of steps works 99.9999% of the time.

Also, I have to comment; I can't guarantee that Acronis (or other tools) will see that external enclosure. It almost certainly should, and I have no reason to believe you'll have problems. But I've not used that item before, so I can't give you any assurance from my personal usage.

steviebilbo

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Many thanks to tomatthe and psaus for their assistance on this - at least I am in the right direction. Once this is sorted I will post the results.. a few days yet before I try though due to work committments.

Thanks again!

Latest posts