Sign in with
Your question

PhysX Card question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 12, 2010 11:54:34 PM

Is it true that there is no advantage of using higher-end cards like GT200 cards as dedicated PhysX card compared to 9800GT/9600GT/GT 240? Or does it depend on the resolution or primary cards installed.

More about : physx card question

a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 12:09:56 AM

You can't use Nvidia card s as standalone Physx cards with an ATI Radeon, the Phyxs calculation taxes your GPU so it really depends more on the muscle of your GPU, of the above the 9800 has the most. You can use the Nvidia as a PhysX card but your going to need hacked Nvidia drivers for that and either XP, or 7; both which support two graphics cards from the two different companies.
m
l
March 13, 2010 12:43:04 AM

I am not talking about using with Radeon cards. I am asking, will there be any advantage of using say GTX 260 over 9800gt as dedicated PhysX card with GTX 260 SLI as main cards. Will the situation be different if it is used with GTX 295 Quad-SLI.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 12:46:57 AM

Not really, if you use SLI then all cards are slave to one. But the connection means two cards share resources, you still can't dedicate just one to PhysX though. Quad SLI 295? Do you happen to live next to a nuclear power station?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 1:17:16 AM

mister g said:
Not really, if you use SLI then all cards are slave to one. But the connection means two cards share resources, you still can't dedicate just one to PhysX though. Quad SLI 295? Do you happen to live next to a nuclear power station?

Actually, you can dedicate one to PhysX.

As for what card to use for PhysX? IMHO, it's not worth it, but I remember seeing some benchmarks saying that there's no gain from using a high end card for PhysX. A relatively low end card (GT240 for example) will run just as fast.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 1:24:43 AM

Thanks for the info, cjl, I learned something today. Anyway the only game I could think of of the top of my head that uses PhysX is Batman: Arkhum Asylum, and maybe the upcoming Crysis 2.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 1:30:29 AM

A GTS250 is about the maximum needed if EVGA are used as a yardstick but Nvidia "recommend" a GT240 or thereabouts.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 1:33:04 AM

Hey where were you MM, you usually correct me at least once per day on these threads. PhysX is a proprietary software used by Nvidia to label their cards as better than ATIs though few games use it. My opinion open to suggestions.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 1:40:13 AM

mister g said:
Hey where were you MM, you usually correct me at least once per day on these threads. PhysX is a proprietary software used by Nvidia to label their cards as better than ATIs though few games use it. My opinion open to suggestions.

:lol:  I saw the first post and thought :heink:  but the OP has made other posts asking about the 5970 and 5750 so I thought I'd sit back and watch where this one was going. As for the propriety bit, yes it is but let's see where the OP is going with this.
m
l
!