Bootup issues

tjet01

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Hello!

I just bought some new computer parts and are trying to put them together. I'm not the most experienced person doing this, but i've build computers a couple of times. I have two issues with my new computer.

1. when i push my power on button the system starts but only for 1 second or so, then it shuts off, only to start again after 2 seconds (without me pushing any button). After the self-reboot or what to call it, the computer starts like normal.

2. Im getting some BIOS errors. After the mobo screen loads it says like this

Warning: MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR!

Retrieving recovery source from HPA... HPA BIOS not available!!

Retrieving recovery source from Backup BIOS... Done!
Writing BIOS Image.....

after that nothing happens.

I've resetted the CMOS jumper but didnt make any diffrence. Tried google but no one seem to have the exact same issue. i've also tried loading the optimized bios settings.

any ideas?

Specs:
Intel Core i5 760
Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
Corsair XmS3 DDR3 16000 MHz 2gb x 2
one older power supply from my last computer. 500w northQ something

For your setup, I suggest a new power supply by one of these manufacturer's: corsair, antec, seasonic, enermax, or ocz. They are all quality brands, and rate their power supplies more accurately than the cheaper brands. The wattage will depend on your total system load. List your video card for some suggestions.

As the previous poster suggested, be sure your video card has the proper lead from the power supply. An older power supply may not have the proper connector needed. Any of the brands I suggested will have all the connectors you need for one video card.

tjet01

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
ok, i've replaced the cmos battery (actually had a few laying around at home) :)

anyways, it didnt make any diffrence at all.

tjet01

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
BIOS updated to F9, but all my problems remain.. any suggestions besides getting a new PSU (i've placed a order for a Corsair VX 550W PSU)?

tjet01

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
dunno if its of any help but i got 4 phase LED lights on. dont really know what that mean but i guess you know.

alos, i tried using only 1 ram stick, with one of the sticks the computer keeps rebooting forever. with the other one the computer rebootes once, then start

As soon as you restart keep hitting the DEL {Delete} key to get into the BIOS, Load Fail Safe F6 and Save CMOS F11, and reboot.

RAM
They're on the list -> http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1429566

I assume that the RAM is installed as follows:
P55_Dual_Channel.jpg

tjet01

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
yes my ram is in slot 1 and 3.

As soon as you restart keep hitting the DEL {Delete} key to get into the BIOS, Load Fail Safe F6 and Save CMOS F11, and reboot.

I tried but no diffrence

tjet01

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I have 2 hdds..

1. WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR GREEN 640GB SATA/300 64MB WD6400AARS (from my old setup)

2. Western Digital Caviar® GreenPower™ 1TB Sata 3 Gb/s, 64MB Cache nr: WDWD10EARS (brand new)

When i hit the CMOS standard features in BIOS it says like this:
> IDE Channel 0 Slave [WDC WD10EARS]
> IDE Channel 1 Master [WDC WD6400AARS]

should sata disks be listed as IDE? :)

anyways, i cant get into the xpress recovery, when I hit F9 nothing happens. i guess ill have to start a ticket with gigabyte then. getting really frustrating. thx for your help bud.

tjet01

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
im using my older hdd as primary cuz its faster then the other one. AHCI didnt make any diffrence. :)

so atm im waiting for:
1. gigabyte to reply
2. my new psu

tjet01

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Hi Martin,

This may be two issues. It may be a defective and/or incompatible memory, or a too weak PSU.

The MAIN BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR! often appears if a memory module is broken.

Please test with only one and one module in the white slot closest to the CPU. You may download and run memtest86.exe from www.memtest86.com to test that your memory are in good condition.

You may also try a little stronger PSU, a 80+ certified PSU 600W or better.

Best regards
GIGABYTE-team Scandinavia

Dunno how i can try memtest program if im not able to boot a cd :p

Well Gigabyte and I 'thought' the same things. I've seen RAM PASS Memtest and still be a problem, but if you can access the BIOS the Memtest should work.

In addition, start a NEW Thread at http://forums.tweaktown.com/ then send a Private Message to Lsdmeasap he is the most knowledgeable Gigabyte guy I know.

Trust me, I understand frustrated, and following are the last three things to try that I can think of that can help before sending in the MOBO or other components.

1. Create a bootable CD/DVD use {ISO/zip} file http://www.memtest.org/ ; run 2 passes
2. Try installing OS on the 'new' HDD; I've seen this error when the BIOS cannot access certain parts of the HDD.
3. Exchange the RAM.

Good Luck! Please let me know. :)

tjet01

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
ye thanks for the support.

1. i will buy a blank dvd tomorrow and try
2. i cannot install OS either way since i cannot boot win7 dvd
3. might be a good idea

:p