Your question

PC shuts down after a few seconds

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 29, 2010 9:22:39 PM

OK... grrr

My 2 year old PC started shutting down unexpectedly a few times over last few days. And now, guess what.. It wont start up without powering down seconds later. I have done the following:

Hoovered the bugger out, there was loads of dust.
It usually powers down on startup, but sometimes it CAN start from DVD so - Tried starting with a windows 7 emergency disk, it gets to diagnostics and tells me it cant fix the problem but to try unplugging USB stuff. weird it doesnt power off when starting from dvd...
Have reset CMOS, now it gives BIOS changed message but still powers down if it even gets that far.
TRied switching memory cards around (there are 2), If both are removed the bios wont come on, but the power remains on. Any one of them inserted means power downs within seconds..
Tried disconnecting HD, makes no difference.
Tried disconnecting USB ports on front cos one is slightly damaged, makes no difference
Tried getting into BIOS to reset but it usually powers down seconds later.
Tried removing graphics card, memory, USBslots, and even hard disk, the only one that makes the power remain on is by removing memory, but it cant start without memory...
tried resetting the heatsync, but i dont have the gel yet to finish the job of setting it back.., gave it a good dust out anyway...

My feeling is dodgy PSU or temp sensor?

general spec:
Asus gamer Mobo
AMD sempron 3400
2 gig memory (1 is kingston, the other ?)
gforce nvidea graphics card
wired to router

any ideas?

More about : shuts seconds

March 30, 2010 9:55:17 PM

THe checklist is geared up for newly built computers... its 2 years old, no wiring issues...
Whats the general feeling? - I will try a new PSU tomorrow...
Related resources
March 31, 2010 4:52:54 AM

Possible your cpu is overheating?
April 1, 2010 10:24:51 PM

ok.

i have tried a new PSU, and new memory, disconnected every peripheral. still it shuts down within seconds.
The only thing that keeps the power on is removing all memory, but this means the bios wont load up and the processor isnt getting to the stage that it actually draws a current.

SO ..new processor, new mobo or BOTH?

anyone, anyone?
!