Upgrading

dbrook007

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Hi,

I have an Intel DG965RY motherboard (supports 800 FSB and 1066 FSB) with an Intel Pentium E2140 processor.

This is currently utilising a 800 FSB. I'm considering upgrading the processor to either an E4600 or E4700 (both 800 FSB) or an E6700.

However, the E6700 is 1066 FSB. My question is, would I also have to upgrade my memory to conform with 1066 FSB being utilised?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thank you,
Darren

No. Check the specs on your Intel board to be sure the current bios file supports the new cpu. The board has built in ram dividers to permit you to run various cpus with different fsb's.

No. Unless the 1066 ram is the same price. Check the specs of the motherboard. No point in paying for 1066 unless the motherboard supports it; it will run at 800 if the board doesn't support it.

dbrook007

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
Hi,

What I currently have is E2140 on DG965RY motherboard with 2Gb Ram @ 800 FSB.

What I'm looking to do is upgrade to a faster processer (preferably Intel Core 2 Duo) and 3Gb RAM.

I'm not really up on hardware, so the question is if I upgrade to a processor that runs at 1066 FSB, will my current RAM still work ok? Will it cause any bottlenecks?

I don't really know so I just don't want to buy the wrong thing and waste money,but I want to get the most out of my upgrade without changing motherboards. Upgrading the processor and upgrading to 3Gb is a must for what I need

thanks

Keep your old ram. Your board might run a quad core q6600, but check your motherboard specs first. The spec sheet I found online only covered old p4 cpus, not core2 duos or quads. In summary, your ram speed and cpu speed are completely independent of each other. Built in memory ratios keep your ram speed at the max as long as the cpu is supported by your board.