Sign in with
Your question

Older IDE DVD Drive-Compatible w/ Windows 7 64bit OS

Last response: in Systems
March 29, 2010 9:39:15 PM

:hello:  My first build. I have a '06 BenQ DW1670 DVD Burner with IDE connector + 4 pin power , it is brand new but no box or info. I know I can get a new SATA DVD for about $25 but I plan to buy a Blu-Ray as soon as I can afford one, so I would prefer not to buy another DVD drive. So far I have a case + PSU + ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO mobo , soon I get AMD CPU, 4GB DDR3, WD or Seagate HDD and plan to run Windows 7 64bit. OK, when all my stuff is carefully put together I assume the next step is press power and pray , after it will "post" I have a speaker so it will beep and request me to install OS (something like that). My question is will the IDE DVD drive ( my ASUS mobo has a IDE connector and even a ribbon cable was included ) have any reason not to read the Windows 7 disc ? Being a first time builder I am not sure if I can open the bios and see what drive is set as the default boot drive but I am hoping the IDE DVD can be used for a while till I get the Blu Ray. Hope I made this clear enough. Any help will be greatly appreciated and some day hope to help someone else. Thank You. :sol: 
March 29, 2010 10:03:22 PM

I don't think that the IDE dvd drive would have any difficulty reading a dvd. As long as the cables are connected correctly at both ends, it should work. You should be able to pop in the Windows 7 install disk, boot from the drive and be on your merry way. :D 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 29, 2010 10:04:16 PM

You can install Windows 7 off of a IDE DVD drive without issue. You will need to get into your BIOS though to change your boot sequence. Another option is to press F8 (or Fx Boot Sequence) when you see your post loading. This will allow you to chose which drive to boot from without going into your BIOS.
m
l
Related resources
March 29, 2010 10:53:20 PM

tecmo34 said:
You can install Windows 7 off of a IDE DVD drive without issue. You will need to get into your BIOS though to change your boot sequence. Another option is to press F8 (or Fx Boot Sequence) when you see your post loading. This will allow you to chose which drive to boot from without going into your BIOS.

First let me say thank you. Now, do you think I will have to change the boot sequence because a new mobo (bios) would first boot from drive connected by way of a SATA? Or some other reason? I am fine with that, I was not sure if my old DVD drive would be compatable Windows 7 and was a bit suprised (but glad) that ASUS put a IDE connector & included a cable! Also, thanks for the F8 shortcut. :hello: 
m
l
March 29, 2010 11:03:23 PM

imspecial said:
I don't think that the IDE dvd drive would have any difficulty reading a dvd. As long as the cables are connected correctly at both ends, it should work. You should be able to pop in the Windows 7 install disk, boot from the drive and be on your merry way. :D 

:hello:  Thank you for your quick response, I'm sure you are right but I want everything to go smooth. My fingers will be crossed pretty tightly when I hit that power button for the first time ! Take care. :sol: 
m
l
March 29, 2010 11:05:40 PM

the drive will be fine and the bios should be set to boot from cd by default
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
March 29, 2010 11:22:33 PM

I would just suggest try to boot first and see if it boots from the hard drive without going into your BIOS or changing anything. If the PC recongizes the hard drive first than you have nothing to worry about, just boot from the Disk.
m
l
March 30, 2010 12:59:19 AM

505090 said:
the drive will be fine and the bios should be set to boot from cd by default

Thanks for the response. Since money is so tight I am glad that I can use the old DVD drive for a while till I get a blu-ray drive and a nice 1080p monitor. I just want to get this up and running. Have a good one. :sol: 
m
l
March 30, 2010 1:09:13 AM

As long as you know it's a known good drive it should be fine.

Infact I did the samething with an older dvd drive. It worked as expected.
Infact I might throw it back in because it has lightscribe on it and my newer sata drive does not.
m
l
March 30, 2010 7:35:01 PM

fastx21 said:
As long as you know it's a known good drive it should be fine.

Infact I did the samething with an older dvd drive. It worked as expected.
Infact I might throw it back in because it has lightscribe on it and my newer sata drive does not.
:sol:  Thank you my friend for responding, this will allow me to get this PC running and not sitting waiting for me to save for a blu-ray. Take Care and try to put up a avatar. Have a good one. :) 
m
l
!