Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Graphic Card issue ATI 4830

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 13, 2010 1:04:12 AM

Hi Friends, I need your advice.

My system: Pentium D 3.4GHZ, Intel DG31PR Board, 2GB Ram, 640GB/64MB cache Hdd, Cooler Master 500watt Extreme PSU and Sapphire 4830HD 1GB Card.

Few days ago i bought this card. Games are lagging, even GTA-4 is not running well on Medium or Low settings, also having problem with Assassin Creed 1, I am only satisfied with Resident Evil 5 performance.

I have updated Mother Board BIOS and Display Drivers too. Tried to run games on Win-XP and Win-7. I do not play games more than 1024*786 resolution.

Now please tell me, Is card not good enough to play these games? or is there something wrong. If it is then what should i do to resolve my problem.
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 1:06:43 AM

Did you delete the Old video card drivers? That card should handle great. You may be due for an entire re-install of your OS, to make sure everything is in peak order. That's always a good thing to do when you change your hardware. Make sure you back up all your files first! Good luck.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 1:10:19 AM

Um how did you get the Pentium D to work on G31, I thought Intel officially dumped support for Netburst processors after P35. Anyway your CPU is the bottleneck. On the dual-core heirarchy the Pentium D, thought the first ones Intel ever made, is now obsolete. The lowest Core 2 Duo is on par with top of the line Pentium Ds, try upgrading to any Core 2 you can afford, your G31 will support it.
m
l
Related resources
March 13, 2010 1:20:11 AM

sorry my english is not good
@multiscreen
I have installed fresh window. I think 8 times, lolzz, also intalled 32bit and 64bit windows. Downladed all updated drivers.

@mister g
Fary cry 2 and Resident Evil 5 are running fantastic on highest settings. but why not gta-4 and assassin. i love gta?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 1:28:19 AM

Both those games are optimized for multi-thread, if you see their sys requirements they list the Core 2 Quad as recommended. In fact that is one of the reasons why I'm trying to upgrade my ancient Pentium D 820 to a Core 2 Quad Q6700. hey multiscreenz are you trying to be like me and give your opinion on everything?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 1:42:23 AM

itshammad said:
sorry my english is not good
@multiscreen
I have installed fresh window. I think 8 times, lolzz, also intalled 32bit and 64bit windows. Downladed all updated drivers.

@mister g
Fary cry 2 and Resident Evil 5 are running fantastic on highest settings. but why not gta-4 and assassin. i love gta?

GTA4 doesn't run well because your Pentium D is the bottleneck here.
This game even struggled with my Core 2 Duo E7300(Which is better than your PD)!!

Your card is plenty for that game.
So either turn down the settings or leave the game(I did this!!)

Also,2GB RAM is wayyy too low for GTA4. That might also be the problem.This game is a monster as far as requirements are concerned.

Try all games on XP. Your RAM is probably insufficient for Gaming on Windows 7 .
m
l
March 13, 2010 2:01:36 AM

That is not the case dear, Either I play on hight setting or Low. Performance is same.
I even tried 800*600 and also the hightest resolution plus all set to high. Here i want to say that there should be some improvement when i switch to very low resolution. I understand Pentium D issue but game is not that monster, when i can play Crysis warhead on High settings except anti-aliasing off.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 2:43:14 AM

If you play Crysis: Warhead on high then your PC can play GTA, so most likely you are not noticing 60FPS -> 120FPS.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 2:49:29 AM

itshammad said:
That is not the case dear, Either I play on hight setting or Low. Performance is same.
I even tried 800*600 and also the hightest resolution plus all set to high. Here i want to say that there should be some improvement when i switch to very low resolution. I understand Pentium D issue but game is not that monster, when i can play Crysis warhead on High settings except anti-aliasing off.

Crysis is far better coded than GTA4. GTA4 is a console port and one of the worst coded games for the PC ever.
Crysis relies on graphics GPU power (which your 4830 can provide) but GTA4 relies mostly on CPU power (which your PentiumD cannot provide).

Take a look at GTA4 benchmarks:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-balanced-plat...

Even with a 4850 and PentiumDual E6300, frame rates remain around 32ish at 1280x1024.

The PentiumDual E6300 is basically a 2nd generation Core2Duo with less cache based on the 45nm Wolfdale architecture. It is far better than your
PentiumD both clock per clock, and overall, yet it struggles to get slightly above the 30fps average. Due to the game's inefficient coding for PC CPUs, your PentiumD is a huge bottleneck in GTA4, no matter what the settings.

March 13, 2010 4:04:47 AM

One more thing i want to mention, GPU is bigger in size. When i installed it first time, it was running game like an integrated graphic chip but when i remove the board from chassis and then tried to install and run GPU, it worked fine. Afterward I fitted it with very much difficulty or you can say forcefully.
Can it be a matter that GPU is not performing with its full potential?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 4:16:10 AM

CPU, not GPU, is definitely the problem for GTA4. As for the other games...

What is your problem for Assassin's Creed? What fps are you getting?
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 4:21:36 AM

GTA 4 is running slow because your CPU is a Pentium D. They really did a horrible job of porting GTA over to the PC. Also, 2GB isn't enough for GTA 4 if you have background processes hogging any memory. Upgrading your RAM and your CPU would certainly help.
m
l
March 13, 2010 5:09:00 AM

Best answer selected by itshammad.
m
l
March 13, 2010 11:45:41 AM

sabot00 said:
If you play Crysis: Warhead on high then your PC can play GTA, so most likely you are not noticing 60FPS -> 120FPS.

Incorect.... GTA IV Is very poorly coded/optimized, when it first came out, I don't even think it reconginzed xfire/SLi.

The Optimal settings are a GTX 285.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 12:14:56 PM

builderbobftw said:
Incorect.... GTA IV Is very poorly coded/optimized, when it first came out, I don't even think it reconginzed xfire/SLi.
The Optimal settings are a GTX 285.

Actually, a GTX260 or 4870 will max out GTA4 at any resolution. A 4850 will be at very high graphics with high resolution with lowered use of VRAM, while the 4830 that the OP has will still be able to play GTA4 at good graphics with good resolution.

The main problem is the CPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-balanced-plat...

Going from a E6300 @ 2.8GHz to a Q9550 or i7 920 resulted in almost a doubling of fps.
m
l
March 13, 2010 1:05:46 PM

Oh, So you've maxed out GTA IV at 2560x1600 at playble frames with 16AA+16 AF with a GTX 260? I realy doubt it.
m
l
!