Air cooling

waybrane

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Hello,
well, i'm in the last of my purchasing run for my parts on my new system.............i've had to settle for air cooling. my budget doesn't include water cooling for now but i will later. so with that said, i need to know what would be the best scenario for my cpu; i would like to overclock.

so far i have the folowing items:

i7 3770K 3.5 unlocked cpu
msi geforce gtx 660ti 2gb gpu
corsair vengance LP 16gb ram
ultra LSP pro series 750w psu
antec 902 gaming case

so if u can suggest anything i would appreciate it, i'm looking at a budget of around $100.00 US for the cooling of the cpu. oh, yeah, i'm going to have this motherboard with this setup also:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Just about the best Air-Cooler you can get is the Noctua NH-D14, which is usually around $85.
Though there is a Thermaltake unit that challenging the Noctua's position, but I havent seen any benches of it so I cant recommend it.

Though if you aren't going to be overclocking that far (say 4.2Ghz or less), then a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO is probably your best bet. Great cooling performance for a $30 heatsink.

waybrane

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
wow, thanks for the quick response.....:). so what is the model of the Thermaltake unit? the only gripe i have with the noctua NH-D14 is they aren't that great looking, i've seen where they tend to be the best out there but not on looks. great talking to you and again "thanks" for the recommends!! :)

waybrane

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
thanks again, it should a kicka** setup when i'm done, even though i have to make some compromises for now. but i always can add to and make it even better :), have a great day and i'll talk to u guys later :)

p.s. i'm speaking of an SSD drive and water cooling everything i can and stuff like that, but i want to do it right, not a kit :)

waybrane

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
hey, this is kinda off subject but i'll ask anyway. maybe u can direct me to the right forum. i think i'm going to go alittle different route on the cooling......it will be this:

Thermaltake WATER2.0 Pro Closed-Loop All In One Liquid CPU Cooler Dual 120mm PWM Fans 120x49mm Radiator CLW0216

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106189

can't beat the deal! but i would still like to have blue led's in the fans, is there a tut that addresses this issue for that unit? wasn't sure how to pose the question for the search........:( what do u think?

waybrane

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
well thanks for my future water cooled moment, manofchalk, hehe :) if noticed above i'm currently at a limited budget of $100.00 US, so i'm trying to get the best i can for the moment and later upgrade. i was going on omgitzfatal recommendation for the Thermaltake WATER2.0 Pro Closed-Loop All In One Liquid CPU Cooler Dual 120mm PWM Fans 120x49mm Radiator CLW0216. i thought it would be nice to water the cpu for the moment rather than the air cooled version from them, it was this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106178&Tpk=Thermaltake%20Frio%20OCK

now i'm sorta confused, recommend the thermaltake water cooled.....or the thermaltake air cooled..............guess i might be back to the air cooled???? :(

waybrane

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
well, alot of info and i'm thankful to all who gave their opinions. i will take all into consideration and i will post what i end up with when i do. have a great nite!! :)