• SSD
  • Sandisk
  • Samsung
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
May 1, 2012 3:09:12 PM

Hello,

I recently bought the 256gb Sandisk Extreme for ~$210, but I've also seen the Samsung 830 256gb for ~$260. Is it worth the extra $50 to get the Samsung or should I just stick with the Sandisk? I've heard great things about both of these drives, so I wanted to pick the community's brain a little bit and see what you think! Thanks!

More about : sandisk extreme samsung 830

a b Ô Samsung
a c 312 G Storage
May 1, 2012 3:53:12 PM

I normally recommend Samsung but in this situation I am inclined to say stick with the Sandisk Extreme and be happy. The technical reviews for the Sandisk Extreme were very favorable.

BTW - Where did you see the Samsung 830 series 256GB SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd for $260.00? Could you post a link?
m
l
a b G Storage
May 1, 2012 3:54:16 PM

Hello,

Tough call. 256GB SSD for 210 is a steal no matter how you look at it. However on the flipside - the Samsung 830 seems to be thrown around a lot here including by myself - seems to be reliable.

I would be willing to say try out the Sandisk Extreme for us...let us know how it is :)  maybe even give us a mini review.
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2012 3:59:21 PM

Sorry, I meant $270 for the Samsung. Still a great deal though. I ended up buying it as well so I can take some more time and decide which one I want to keep and which one I will return:D  Sounds like it will be a win either way.

Here's the link: http://slickdeals.net/f/4312452-SAMSUNG-830-Series-MZ-7...
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 312 G Storage
May 1, 2012 4:03:19 PM

Thanks.
m
l
May 1, 2012 4:13:12 PM

No problem. Reliability is really important to me if benchmarks are fairly similar, so I may just stick with the Samsung at that price. Either way, thanks for your feedback! These forums are great to get opinions on these kinds of technologies.
m
l
May 1, 2012 5:45:55 PM

Thanks for the links. I'm not too concerned about benchmarks with these two drives, because they are pretty comparable. I'm mostly concerned about reliability and degradation over time. I've heard that the Samsung drives are very reliable, but I've also read that they can degrade over time. Is that a problem with all ssds in general or is it a bigger problem with the Samsung over other ssds?

Also, what types of things can be done to avoid this type of degradation?
m
l
!