32 or 64 bit processor issue

Migalo77

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Hi experts,

I m going to mount my proper home PC. I need a mother board that s up to 8 Giga bit of RAM. People told me that 32 bit processor will only detect 4 Giga of RAM. And I need a 64 bit processor instead. Is that technical detail is true. I need a sure and precise answer for that issue because I get different opposit answers form different peoples

Thank you

Nearly all new cpus will run 64 bit windows. I chose to use the 32 bit windows as it runs a little smoother with adobe flash programs. Adobe is still working on their 64 bit flash version, as microsoft is still tweaking their new explorer 9. Virtually any newer dual or quad core cpu from Intel or amd will run 64 bit windows just fine. Just check your motherboard specs to be sure it supports your cpu. Some boards require a bios flash before running a newer cpu, such as the 6 core amd's (1090 for example). 32 bit windows versions only use about 3 gb of ram, while 64 bit windows can recognize 8 gb or more. The cpu has nothing to do with how much ram you can use. If you want some motherboard recommendations, select your cpu first. I use the i3 530 which is an excellent cpu for home pc's that don't run games. I just surf the net. The H55 boards for these start at around $70 shipped at newegg. Many boards now will use 4 gb sticks, but check the board specs to be sure.

In a 32 bit OS the memory address is stored in a 32 bit space which means it can have 2^32 possible addresses (2^32 = 4GB) so it is correct that a 32 bit OS can only use a total of 4 gbs of memory (because each bit of memory must have a distinct address in order for the system to use it) and that includes the reserved system space and video page files (which use about .75 GB leaving a 32 bit OS with about 3.25 GB. of available memory addresses -- so if you want to use 8 GB. you will need a 64 bit OS (64 bit OSes save the memory address in a 64 bit space so can address 2^64 addresses )

Migalo77

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Thank you o1die, JDFan and malmental

So first any CPU dual core and up could recognise up to 8 Giga bit of RAM and that depends on the installed OS version
Then second I have to choose the cpu and then I choose the mother board

Migalo77

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
Hi malmental,
Thank you first for the assistance. Well here is the situation in details.
I have mount a desktop machine 2 years ago. Core 2 duo E7300 2.66 Ghz, Azrock mother board 1600-D800 with one 2 Giga DDRAM II.

Recently I installed a Windows server 64 bit R2 Data center. I tried to test the Hyper V feature which is a solution for virtualisation like VMWare, VBOX and Virtual PC .

But I hitted the problem of RAM allocation so what I need is more RAM to install a several virtual machines and Of Corse without affecting the performance so that the machine freeze.

So what is the optimal solution with optimal costs

Actually, I have two alternatives and I need the advise for that

Alternative 1
I keep my machine, so I only relpace the mother board of 4 Giga of RAM DDRII with one that is of 8 Giga DDRII(Of Corse, if a mother board of 8 Giga DDR II and 775 processor support exists) in that case, I can save some money as I have already a Core 2 Duo 775 socket and a 2 Giga DDR II RAM. So I need to buy only the motherboard and three other 2 Giga DDR II desktop memory(2+2+2+2) but this could be possible if such motherboard model exisits

The second alternative is to sell my desktop PC and buy all the components, I mean
a motherboard that supports up to 8 GiGA DDR III and a i7 or i5 processor and Two DDR III of 4 Giga memory but this will cost more

If you have any suggesion, advise please feel free to feed me back as soon as possible

Thank you again

Migalo77

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
So is there any Motherboard that supports up 8 Giga and that has those caracterestics
1- DDR II slots
2- 775 processor socket (because my processor is Core 2 duo E7300 2.66 Ghz)

If yes could you point me to a motherboard model I need the exact model

Thank you

Migalo77

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010