Sign in with
Your question

Cooling Method for a SLIM-line computer?

Last response: in Components
June 8, 2010 10:08:31 PM

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums here and pretty new to any sort of computer upgrading, so I might need a little extra help getting started. I've been struggling most with locating products that fit my machine.

Anyways, I'm in search of a way to keep my computer's internal temperature down.(Specifically the GPU) I recently monitored it's temperature while gaming and found that it got as high as 82 degrees Celsius. That's Hot! Now, this would be an easy problem to fix if I had a standard sized computer case. But, unfortunately I'm working with a Dell™ Inspiron 530s (slim). The computer is probably a little under 4 inches in width, and the interior space is definitely limited. I upgraded the PSU as well as the GPU. I'm now running the system with a Slim 300W Seasonic PSU and a low profile NVIDIA Geforce 9500 GT. The two work fantastic in the system even though the minimum power rating for my card is 350W. (I don't know if I'm harming my system by having the gap in power, if so, let me know.)HEAT is my issue here. I've been frantically scouring the internet for some sort of cooling device to fit my system, be it a fan, or some sort of stream-lined water cooling system, given that even exists. So I would like to know if any of you tech savvy people are aware of a fan or something that will lower my GPU temperature but also fit in my system. I'll post pictures of the computer's interior to help you see what I'm working with here. Thanks in advance!

This shows you how wide the computer is as well as the size of the GPU. The GPU's fan faces downward and blows air towards the PSU.

This is the view from beneath the GPU. The PSU is below which blows cool air up towards the GPU. You can also see my one available PCI slot. Maybe a slot fan of some sort could fit here?

This shows how skinny the computer actually is. I measured and it is a little over 3.75 inches wide.

This is the size of the bracket for the PCI expansion slot. Small eh?
a c 275 ) Power supply
June 8, 2010 10:15:33 PM

82C on a GPU isnt too bad, especially in a slimline, 90+ is hot for a GPU, but it wont get hurt until about 100C so you dont need to worry too much. Are there any case fans in your system that you could upgrade to improve airflow?

Your PSU fan is an exhaust not an intake, its sucking air into the PSU so you may want to close that expansion slot hole and see if that improves things a bit, it might not be drawing the hot air in from the case and exhausting it, it might be getting cooler air through that slot instead which isnt helping anything else in the system.
m
l
June 9, 2010 2:20:28 AM

The PSU is taking in hot air from the system and exhausting it out of the back or so it seems, because hot air is flowing from the back of the Power Supply. And I don't keep the slot open while I'm using the computer I just removed the cover for visual sake.

Also, after many hours on Google, I managed to find this fan. The dimensions state that it 70mm x 70mm x 15mm. That translates as 2.76in x 2.76in x 0.6in. So, the fan itself would fit into the system, but the bracket is too long. It looks like I could maybe cut the excess off of the fan bracket and install it. A tight squeeze, but it may fit. What do you guys think?

And about the temperature damaging my card, I think it may have already started to. My fps has dropped severely since when I first purchased the card. Is this normal?

Here's the fan I found:

http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/101
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 9, 2010 2:33:58 PM

That could be your PSU. If it recommends a 350 watt, you should probably go for a decent 400 watt, especially if you're looking into more fans. For decent cooling you need an one fan blowing in from the front and one from the rear (generally wouldn't recommend using a PSU for that although older models it was fine with but with newer GPUs and CPUs and heatsinks for northbridges etc.)
If you want to keep it cool, and you're not too worried about expense (~€150-200) get yourself a decent PSU (although you'll need a micro atx sized one), and a liquid cool system for your CPU and GPU. Other than that you can get low profile fan cards pretty much like your link there. There are a few companies that do them but they generally dont have an opening so they just move hot air around rather than expel it(better pics of it here http://www.overclockersonline.net/reviews/50002331/). But if budget is a problem you should be able to fit in an 80mm fan in the rear above your mobo (above the onboard GPU.
m
l
June 9, 2010 4:34:53 PM

Collie147 said:
That could be your PSU. If it recommends a 350 watt, you should probably go for a decent 400 watt, especially if you're looking into more fans. For decent cooling you need an one fan blowing in from the front and one from the rear (generally wouldn't recommend using a PSU for that although older models it was fine with but with newer GPUs and CPUs and heatsinks for northbridges etc.)
If you want to keep it cool, and you're not too worried about expense (~€150-200) get yourself a decent PSU (although you'll need a micro atx sized one), and a liquid cool system for your CPU and GPU. Other than that you can get low profile fan cards pretty much like your link there. There are a few companies that do them but they generally dont have an opening so they just move hot air around rather than expel it(better pics of it here http://www.overclockersonline.net/reviews/50002331/). But if budget is a problem you should be able to fit in an 80mm fan in the rear above your mobo (above the onboard GPU.

No, price isn't a problem. I guess I'll start looking for a bigger power supply. The one I have is the most powerful I could find that fits my system. I'm in the States too, so maybe they're harder to locate here. Might you already know of one?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 10, 2010 2:05:57 AM

well actually i think your psu is fine.
82c is fine for a 9500gt. moe than 93 or so would be bad.
try clearing the dust out of the graphics card heatsink.
m
l
June 17, 2010 1:05:54 PM

It seems that lately any games I have running will crash to the desktop once the card has reached 70C. I believe I might have mentioned it before, but my average fps in some games has dropped significantly. What the heck is up?
m
l
!