Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Rig (Around $1000)

Last response: in Systems
March 30, 2010 12:18:22 AM

1. Do you have a Fry’s or Microcenter nearby?
I have a Fry's nearby, not microcenter
2. What is this PC going to be built for?
Gaming/3dmodeling
3. What resolution/monitor will you be using?
Resolution: 1920x1080
4. What is YOUR budget?
$1000-$1200ish .
5. If YOU have any brand preferences?
Only thing I'm going to prefer is an i7 920
6. Have YOU performed any research yet?
I'm pretty tech savvy, just looking for advice and direction
7. Have an idea of what you want?
Processor: i7-920
Ram: Waiting on good deal
GPU: Looking to spend $250 to $300 (maybe in SLi)
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16811517004
Power Supply: Don't know how much I need yet
Harddrive: Small SSD for boot up, then 500gb for storage
OS: Windows 7 64-bit (Should be getting it for free from my university eventually)
I want to future proof it for a while
8. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts?
Have none.
9. If YOU plan on overclocking?
Not to the extreme but slightly for rendering and gaming
10. When do you plan to build it?
Slowly build it over the next 6 to 9 months

I'm probably going to save the Processor, GPU, and ram for later so I get the best deals on them, so I'm currently mostly looking for a Case, PSU, and a very small SSD (4gb? with TRIM) if possible.
So to start it off, what do you guys think of the case I found on newegg?
Also, will the case be able to hold 2 graphics cards (even the extremely large ones)?
What do you guys think of the case for the price, if it's good, I'm going to pull the trigger on it tonight.

More about : gaming rig 1000

March 30, 2010 12:22:05 AM

Here I'll fix it up for you:

1. Do you have a Fry’s or Microcenter nearby?
I have a Fry's nearby, not microcenter

Gaming/3dmodeling

3. What resolution/monitor will you be using?
Resolution: 1920x1080

4. What is YOUR budget?
$1000-$1200ish.

5. If YOU have any brand preferences?
Only thing I'm going to prefer is an i7 920

6. Have YOU performed any research yet?
I'm pretty tech savvy, just looking for advice and direction

7. Have an idea of what you want?
Processor: i7-920
Ram: Waiting on good deal
GPU: Looking to spend $250 to $300 (maybe in SLi)
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-Sl...
Power Supply: Don't know how much I need yet
Harddrive: Small SSD for boot up, then 500gb for storage
OS: Windows 7 64-bit (Should be getting it for free from my university eventually)
I want to future proof it for a while

8. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts?
Have none.

9. If YOU plan on overclocking?
Not to the extreme but slightly for rendering and gaming

10. When do you plan to build it?
Slowly build it over the next 6 to 9 months

I'm probably going to save the Processor, GPU, and ram for later so I get the best deals on them, so I'm currently mostly looking for a Case, PSU, and a very small SSD (4gb? with TRIM) if possible.
So to start it off, what do you guys think of the case I found on newegg?
Also, will the case be able to hold 2 graphics cards (even the extremely large ones)?
What do you guys think of the case for the price, if it's good, I'm going to pull the trigger on it tonight.
m
l
March 30, 2010 12:38:46 AM

Thank you so much! Sorry, I wrote the bold functions wrong.
m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2010 12:38:55 AM

You mean a 40GB SSD? 4GB wont even load an OS anymore.

That Azza is OK, but I'd choose either the:
Antec Three Hundred Illusion. (Cheaper and better fan position on the door - wont interfere with a 120mm tower cooler).
Coolermaster HAF 922. (Bigger for the same price)

m
l
March 30, 2010 12:51:01 AM

dndhatcher said:
You mean a 40GB SSD? 4GB wont even load an OS anymore.

That Azza is OK, but I'd choose either the:
Antec Three Hundred Illusion. (Cheaper and better fan position on the door - wont interfere with a 120mm tower cooler).
Coolermaster HAF 922. (Bigger for the same price)

Oh, I didn't know OS became so large. A 40GB SSD it is then :) 

Ok, so I really like the appearance of the Coolermaster HAF 922, however, I can't seem to find it for the $70 that the Antec 300 Illusion and Azza is being sold for. If you could point me in the right direction, that'd be awesome!
m
l
March 30, 2010 2:43:11 AM

Any other opinions on any of this?
And any help finding that Coolermaster HAF 922 for $70?
m
l
March 30, 2010 5:56:50 AM

I didn't get any more replies and the deal on the Azza ends today, so if no one has anythingelse to say or give me advice on a deal on a case, I'm going to pull the trigger on the Azza.
m
l
March 30, 2010 6:07:51 AM

I will just comment on the case for now. I have the same case...and love it. However, I bought two of these - one for me and one for a friend, and never saw either rebate.

Both rebates were submitted correctly and documented (I even take photos of the envelope after USPS stamps them...I just ask them to let me photograph it before they drop it off in the compartment behind there desk. Good case and I'm sorta ok with paying the $100 for it, but it would have been nice to get rebate back.

Just wanted to let you know.

And, to answer some of your questions: I have 2 4850's running in mine, the case has the PSU on the bottom, so you need long cables, especially the 8 pin. My 4850 has around 3 inches before it hits my HDD, and my 4850's are the original longer ones, not one of the shorter models I've seen Saphire put out.
m
l
March 30, 2010 6:41:33 AM

Quote:
Gaming/3dmodeling

If you are using this for gaming why not think about the i5 750 and use the saved money on better GPU. Any specific reason for an i7 920?
m
l
March 30, 2010 7:48:13 AM

i7 920 is better for rendering then the i5 750 by a lot, now i will recommend the 930 for not much more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

where you might find hard to do will be base on the graphics power you need, we all know modeling/professional GFX cards sucks when rendering FPS therefor they suck for gaming, but gaming cards can't really do 3d modeling. So the issue becomes in what you really need, and this recommendation is going to throw everyone off, but i think this will be my 1st recommendation of Fermi, yes its not a typo, the GTX 470 can handle stereoscopic really well, even when AA is enable, if you have the money the GTX 480, but dont go crazy with 2, the heat that a single GTX 480 produce would fry an egg.
m
l
April 2, 2010 11:40:04 PM

snakej said:
i7 920 is better for rendering then the i5 750 by a lot, now i will recommend the 930 for not much more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

where you might find hard to do will be base on the graphics power you need, we all know modeling/professional GFX cards sucks when rendering FPS therefor they suck for gaming, but gaming cards can't really do 3d modeling. So the issue becomes in what you really need, and this recommendation is going to throw everyone off, but i think this will be my 1st recommendation of Fermi, yes its not a typo, the GTX 470 can handle stereoscopic really well, even when AA is enable, if you have the money the GTX 480, but dont go crazy with 2, the heat that a single GTX 480 produce would fry an egg.

If the GTX 480 drops in price eventually then I'll might get it, but until then I'll hold off on the GPU.

I found an i7-930 for $200, I'm debating if I should purchase it...what do you guys think? Should I wait longer for a price drop?
m
l
April 3, 2010 2:47:48 PM

what's you'r main concern?

Im assuming work, right?

then get something like 5850, its not the best gaming card, but if it proves to be holding you back in your working area, then you wont feel like you spend lots of money, and get a professional card.

and I doubt very much that the 930 go lower than that, at that point the i5 750 is more expensive unless they selling it for like $150, then get i5, and put you money towards the graphics. IMO

edit: oh yah i knew i forgot to say, nooo to that case, why, well, a more quality just as big but cheaper case can be have, dont believe me, look at the Cooler Master 922 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
lol sorry for making it so dramatic, =)
m
l
!