Sign in with
Your question

(Graphic Card + power supply) plz help =( ill respond my best

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 13, 2010 5:39:18 AM

Here my problem 1st:

I installed a nvidia geforce 8600 gts it works fine for 2yr years , its over-heat during the summer if I don't have the air conditioner on but works through it, so its not a heating problem anymore since its far in winter-spring and im assuming its a power supply problem because after playing Battlefield: Bad company 2 the power keep turning off so I install a rocketfish gaming 500w Power Supply Unit (600w peak) and make sure I put everything fully back on, old PSU main connector was 20pin, 3x Peripheral Power connector 4 pins for drives, and 1x 4pin CPU power connector, but i hope i install the new one correctly, main connector was 20pin+4pin ( I only put 20pin because like the old one), All Peripheral Power connector on the drives and CPU power connector comes with 4+4 pin i got room for only 4 so i leave that one unplug. Next I plug in the graphic card but Blank screen and No signal Fan works everything lights up, but i do noticed that my CDROM drive is blinking alot, I tried this without nvidia geforce 8600 gts and use the onboard Integrated NVIDIA GeForce® 6100 graphics and everything works but I cant play any games as well.

-I tried

*safe mode, disable onboard Graphic and installing the better one
*BIOS check and turn on PCI-E 1st and again with PCI
*rearrange the RAM (I notice i have 1.89GB but i had 2GB 5 days ago when I did a system check to run the game)
*I check all the different wire making sure its all working
*I also spend like 8-11hrs reading other people post and trying to resolve this myself
*I update my driver

Everything works fine without my nvidia geforce 8600 gts... that might be the problem but if I buy a better one this problem might happen again...

This is my system:

Processor:AMD AthlonTM 64 X2 4200+, Dual Core processor with AMD64 Technology

2.2 GB 2000 MHz system bus 512 KB ×2 L2 cache

Memory:Installed: 2048 MB DDR 400 MHz (PC3200) memory (four 512 MB modules)Expandable to: 4 GB

Video:Integrated NVIDIA GeForce® 6100 graphics

Audio: Integrated AC '97 Audio with 6 Channel Audio (5.1)

Hard Drive:320 GB 7200 RPM PATA hard drive with 2 MB cache

Optical Drive:DVD +/- RW, 16X Multi-Format Double Layer (up to 8.5 GB) Write max:16X DVD-/+R, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 4X DVD+R DL, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW Read max:16X DVD-ROM, 40X CD-ROM

Media Reader: 9-in-1 Digital Media Manager supporting the following:

CompactFlash Card, IBM MicroDrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, SmartMedia Card, Secure Digital(SD)/MMC, Compact Flash, Multimedia Card, USB 2.0 or later

Network:Integrated 10/100 Mbps Ethernet LAN

Interfaces:p S/2 keyboard port, PS/2 mouse port, Seven USB 2.0 ports (four on rear panel, two on front panel, one in media reader),Three IEEE-1394a connectors (one on rear panel, two on front-panel), One parallel port, One RJ-45 LAN port, Five audio jacks (three on rear panel, two on front panel)

Add-In Card Slots:One PCI-Express ×16, One PCI-E ×1,Two PCI conventional

Drive Bays: Two external 3.5-inch, Two external 5.25-inch, Two internal 3.5-inch

*Added component*
nvidia geforce 8600 gts
rocketfish gaming 500w Power Supply Unit (600w peak)
a c 235 U Graphics card
a c 164 ) Power supply
March 13, 2010 5:50:27 AM

well you know the bestbuy PSU is not the issue
make sure your 8600GTS was in the socket correctly and the power pin was plugged in

if it still doesnt work, try your old PSU with the monitor plugged into your motherboard

if that works, your card is most likely dead
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
March 13, 2010 5:52:42 AM

Try the card in another computer. If not, make sure the card is dust-free.

If you need a new GPU, an HD5670/HD5570 would be a good upgade for $85/$75 respectively.
Related resources
March 13, 2010 5:57:08 AM

old PSU works good last night played a couple of rounds but its keep crash more and more frequently till its doesn't even boot up but usually when that happens i just come back to it after 30min and it works fine... maybe your right about my card is dead but fan works and I clean all the dust out, but I did try the Old PSU and its doesn't work anymore for the card. PS I like your sig
March 13, 2010 6:02:02 AM

I will try my graphic card on a new computer, but wouldn't a New computer from Bestbuy be better then all the working I'm putting up with to upgrade, graphic card ~$100, 4x 1GB is like $70 each $280, window 7 ~$100, Quadcore ~$300, but I do love to do this as a hobby.
a c 235 U Graphics card
a c 164 ) Power supply
March 13, 2010 1:00:22 PM

i would strongly discourage you from buying a PC from bestbuy

plenty of web sites offer better PC if you want to buy one

but if all you really want is to play games at your previous settings, simply get a new video card (assuming that's the issue)

March 13, 2010 2:48:51 PM

Monday morning is when i go get a new GC and I'll let you know and Thank You very much
!