Sign in with
Your question

Asus P7P55D-E pro help - unexplained shut downs

Last response: in Motherboards
December 3, 2010 7:51:49 PM

Hello everyone.

I recently built a computer, and for the first week all was well. I suddenly started running into unexpected and random shut downs. I would be on the comp, it would shut completely down out of nowhere, try to restart, fail, try to boot, fail, so on and so forth.

Long story short, through parts swapping I managed to figure that the mobo was the issue. The ram, vid card, even power supply was swapped and it was still shutting down. We thought maybe it was a shorting issue, so we tested the mobo outside of the case in a box and that seemed to work. The mobo was staying on fine. I bought a new case, one with risers, put all my parts back in and all was well for another week.

Last night and today it's doing the shut downs again. All fans and heat sinks are working correctly. The odd thing is how random the shut downs are. I can get the PC to stay on for a whole night, then all of a sudden it will shut down, then the next day i can get it on for a few hours, then it will go all whackey.

I have warranty on the board, and I am going to get the mobo and ps RMA'd anyway, but I would like to know for my own reference why this could be possibly happening if anyone else had a similar problem.

My rig as follows:
Asus P7P55D-E pro board
Mios 800w power supply
MSI 460gtx gpu
Patrio ram (4gb)

I appreciate any input at all. Thanks guys.

More about : asus p7p55d pro unexplained shut downs

a c 717 V Motherboard
December 3, 2010 8:08:15 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :) 

What BIOS changes have you made? And if {Patrio} you mean Patriot then my vote goes for the Patriot.

Q - What EXACT RAM do you have; please provide a link to the RAM e.g. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Q - Did you connect power to the 6-pin connectors to the GTX 460?
Q - Is the RAM listed as XMP in the BIOS? If yes then don't use XMP set the RAM manually.
Q - What other Devices are attached to the computer?
Q - What BIOS version?
Q - What CPU?

For now, Load Defaults in the BIOS save & exit.

Also, if the PSU has a fault it too can cause similar problems; I never heard of MIOS PSUs. In addition, if either the I/O shield or stand-offs are causing a short or ground -- ditto there too with similar problems.
m
l
December 3, 2010 9:25:58 PM

Jaquit:

Sorry it was OCZ. I have NO idea why I would say patriot. My slip.
1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. Yea, 6-pin.

3. Couldn't find anything that says XMP anywhere in the BIOS.

4. None.

5. 1.0.0.125

6. :pfff:  Can't believe i forgot to add that. Intel i5 750 2.66ghz

Another thing I noticed, and it did this in my previous case: When i start windows up, it lags. When i move the mouse around it's choppy and not fluid. When i play games, the sound is static-ey. There was no issues for the past week like this up until the restarts began happening again.
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2010 9:28:06 AM

I had a problem of that sort years ago, and it was due to the CPU fan which was out of order. As a result the processor was overheating and the machine would ultimately be shut down by the OS. So, it might be a good idea to start by checking your CPU's fan.

If the fan is working properly, you might want to install the ASUS Probe program from Asus' installation cd. Start the program after booting into the OS and keep it on to monitor voltages, temperatures and fan speeds. At the very least it will give you an indication when your mobo/CPU has overheated and you could shut down the computer in an orderly fashion. If the problem is due to overheating, check the fan speeds ASUS Probe shows. If the speed shown is low, you may need to change the misbehaving fans.

You could also try adding a second fan in the front of the case and see if that helps. In case you already have two fans installed on the case you should check if they work against each other as that would bottle up the hot air in the case which will increase the temperature within.

If everything else fails, you could try to keep the case open.

GS
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
December 4, 2010 1:32:19 PM

I checked the RAM and it should be compatible - http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_p...
1600 8-8-8-24 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS) @ 1.65v

Take a look at your MOBO to see if any testing LEDS are ON: CPU, DRAM, VGA, or Boot Device; if they are then please post which LEDS are on.

Changes:
1. Memory Setup
DIMM installation
CPU | A2 | A1 | B2 | B1 | ; install RAM in A1 & B1

Manually set the following:
DRAM Voltage = 1.65v
AI Overclock Tuner = D.O.C.P - you stated 2.66GHz CPU
DRAM OC Profile = [DDR3-1600MHz]
DRAM Timing Control = 8-8-8-24 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
Save & Exit = Yes

2. Utilities
I am not a fan of ANY ASUS utility and they often cause similar problems, and if you any installed then uninstall them.
Temps -> HW Monitor - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

3. Conflicts
run MSCONFIG select Diagnostic and then Add Microsoft Services only. Run Prime95 and monitor Temps and or stability. http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

4. FAILURE
Often, as I mentioned, a small short can cause instability. Therefore, other than a full breadboard you can unscrew all of the standoff screws and pull the MOBO away from the I/O Shield - dangling the MOBO on a dry towel so it is not touching any metallic objects.

Please update.
m
l
January 5, 2011 8:43:32 AM

Istria said:
Hello everyone.

I recently built a computer, and for the first week all was well. I suddenly started running into unexpected and random shut downs. I would be on the comp, it would shut completely down out of nowhere, try to restart, fail, try to boot, fail, so on and so forth.

Long story short, through parts swapping I managed to figure that the mobo was the issue. The ram, vid card, even power supply was swapped and it was still shutting down. We thought maybe it was a shorting issue, so we tested the mobo outside of the case in a box and that seemed to work. The mobo was staying on fine. I bought a new case, one with risers, put all my parts back in and all was well for another week.

Last night and today it's doing the shut downs again. All fans and heat sinks are working correctly. The odd thing is how random the shut downs are. I can get the PC to stay on for a whole night, then all of a sudden it will shut down, then the next day i can get it on for a few hours, then it will go all whackey.

I have warranty on the board, and I am going to get the mobo and ps RMA'd anyway, but I would like to know for my own reference why this could be possibly happening if anyone else had a similar problem.

My rig as follows:
Asus P7P55D-E pro board
Mios 800w power supply
MSI 460gtx gpu
Patrio ram (4gb)

I appreciate any input at all. Thanks guys.

Im aving the exact same problem with a similar configuration:

Core i5 760
Asus P7P55D-E
G.SKILL 2X2GB DDR3 1600MHz CL7 Ripjaws PC12800
Graphics: had a Gforce 7950GT but now i just got a new Sapphire 5850 (damn nice card)
psu: LCPower 8700 700w
DVDrw standard LG

te computer is ramdomlly rebooting and wen it does it wont boot up normally. i have to sut it down and disconnect te power cable. my guess is the motherboard or the psu but im not sure and im getting freaked out by this.

i have installed the latest bios update from asus, i just have the asus probe installed running on Windows 7 x64
the system was stable for around 3 weeks but now its not, every day is going down without a proper reason.

the CPU temperatures are fine its around 41º idle and around 55-59º on load. im getting desperate here!

i noticed that when i start the computer, the boot led lighhts up and te Memory OK lights up to but ten the memory ok led turns off and it starts normally.

i havent tried unscrewing the moterboard and sitting it in a dry towel and it makes sense but, appening so often im really getting scared of damaging more components than it already has. have you found out te reason for this?

the memories were at 1600Mzh but if changed it to default 1333Mhz, yesterday i have reseted the bios but havent got any success.

can you please tell me wat you did to resolve this issue!?

would be very much appreciated!!!
m
l
!