Sign in with
Your question

RAM installed, System shuts down in 3 seconds but . . .

Last response: in Motherboards
December 3, 2010 8:01:03 PM

Hello, I started out with a small system box dubbed the EZ-Buddie and decided to move the innards to a larger system box.

The mother boars is an ECS S4-2 (no longer made or in their listing at "Elite Group".

Before moving, everything worked fine except for the external 12 V power brick, which failed and no replacement could be found. After moving all the components to the new system box, the Power Supply shuts down in about 3 seconds. If I remove the RAM (two modules), the PS stays up, but there is a long beep for about 7 seconds and repeats in 4 seconds.

I checked the memory modules in all combinations (switch 1, 2), Single and in each slot. PS still fails at 3 seonds. CD-Rom was not installed, removed power & data from HDD. Same problem.

I removed the ATX Power Connector and jumpered the PS-On signal (Green lead, Pin 16) to ground and verified all voltages are correct and in tolerance (+/- 5% and -12 vdc +/- 10%). I think what bugs me is that the system worked well before the transfer to the new system box.

My question would be: Why does it try to work with no RAM, but the PS shuts down with either or both the RAM modules installed (ULT300092, 512 MB PC2700 DDR 333MHZ) ?

I even reseated the Socket 478 CPU (Intel Pentium 4 , 2756 MHZ). ( I have the system printout discovered by Everest Home Edition).

TIA

Bob
!