Intel 1155 stock cooler

PF85

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
So I've just finished building my gfs PC with parts from my old computer. I then needed a cooler for her i5-750 which is a socket 1156. I took a stock cooler I had in spare from my i5-3570k which is socket 1155 and put it on hers CPU. It seemed to fit nicely, but will it cause any problems?

the 1155/1556 mb have the same heat sink leg size. if you look on new egg the three sizes that intel brackets come in are 775/1155/1333. for the cpu fan speed if she has a msi mb or an older mb bios. look into the bios and look under cpu fan speed.
some have the fan speed set to auto and a min fan speed. most time the min fan speed is 1500-2000 rpm or they set the temp or fan speed to 50 percent. try setting it to 40c or 33 percent if you can. also check that the cpu fan plugged into the cpu fan header. some headers will cause the fan not to slow down.

if it not a bios setting it may be that you forgot to peel the cover off the thermal paste or the paste was old and dried out. most times if the temp is high it because the cpu plastic cooler legs are not down all the way and the cooler not fitting as tight as it needs to be.

PF85

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
Everything should be OK. I added new thermal paste and I cleaned the CPU and cooler before I applied it. I've gone into BIOS and changed the cooler settings in there. I connected the CPU cooler to the CPU socket on the motherboard as well.. I have no idea why it continues to get such high RPM.

mb model??? if it an asus make sure your not running in performace mode..overclocking mode...check the cpu voltage make sure it set to auto and not over clocked...to high of voltage..makes more heat...also check the c1 and c3 are on so the cpu can declock itself..turn off unused coress

PF85

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
Its a Asus P7P55D-E. It shouldnt be running OC mode since I've never OC'ed it, but I'll check when shes done installing Windows updates.