New PC build! Please Help!!!!!

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hello, I just started planning out all my parts and stuff i live in south long beach and do any of you guys know any good technicians that build systems? i heard ibuypower is good but ppl have probs with it so not sure and will this setup work?

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284

intel Core i7: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115202&cm_re=intel_i7-_-19-115-202-_-Product

DVD drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030

Antec 900: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&cm_re=antec_900-_-11-129-021-_-Product

HD 5850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161302&cm_re=5850-_-14-161-302-_-Product

Memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289

I don't know what ram i should get kinda new to building systems :D! and what sound card do you guys recommend something not to expensive i have a limit of 1800$ of building my system so please help guys! any recommendation for different parts that are better or more compatible with each other i would really appreciate thanx guys!

Solution
Yes, you can overclock your GPU with the fans that come on them. Overclocking GPU's isn't as extreme as you see on a CPU, so don't always require an aftermarket cooler.

Since you are building in June, make sure to revisit you build on the forum, as prices change and newer products come out, they can alter your build for the better / cheaper. Looks at things roughly a week or two before you plan to finally build it.

tecmo34

Administrator
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Faster and Cheaper

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 - Your build needs DDR3 memory, not DDR2

CPU / MOBO: Intel Core i5-750 & ASUS P7P55D-E Pro - I would go with the i5 750 unless you are doing heavy CS4, Photoshop or CAD, whicn case you would want to jump up to the Core i7 930... IMO. The MOBO gives you SATA III and USB 3.0 support, along with Crossfire at x8, x8, which will so little difference between x16, x16.

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W Power Supply

Heat Sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Rest of your build looks good!

edit: You can review my step-by-step guide in my signature to learn how to put a PC together. It isn't has hard as you might think :)

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hi thanks! I'm going to go with the ram and the HDD and also the PSU you recommended thanx! again!

I really want an i7 as because i wanna destroy the latest games and really i dont have enough money to be upgrading every year so i will be going with the intel core i7 920 or is 930 better?

also, do you think this mobo will work with my build?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365

do you recommend any good sound cards i have a 5.1 sound system (logitech x540) and any wifi cards? i have a linksys cisco wireless n home router.

sorry for so many questions :D i wanna get everything right as some reviews on newegg blow me away like system failure and all that and that the 5850 has a lot of driver issues any advice on that? thanx man u rock!

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
oh almost forgot :D i wanna change the stock core i7 cooler to a coolermaster v8 or is the one you recommended better? because i wanna overclock a lil atleast bump up the cpu to 3 or even 3.5ghz and is this possible with the motherboard i suggested? many thanx in advance and again sorry for so many question first build :D hehe i will be following your guide! thanx!

tecmo34

Administrator
1) Go with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ over the V8. There is very little performance difference but a big difference in price.

2) I would go with the i7 930 and purchase this combo... Intel i7 930 & Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5

3) Since you want an i7 930, you will need triple-channel memory and I recommend these... G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 Cas7

4) You don't need a sound card with the newer MOBOs. The on-board is very good on them now. If for some reason after the build you don't like the sound, you can purchase a sound card at the later date.

5) I would look at anyone of these wireless adpators... http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2050410031%204802&name=Top%20Sellers

Don't take too much to heart the Newegg reviews. They are not the most accurate (remember for every good experience people tell 2 others... For every bad experience people tell 10 others). The 5850 driver issues were from the early drivers and have been corrected with latest versions.

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
ok thanx i will be buying that memory then and the intel i7 930 cpu thanx!!!!and so you don't recommend the p6t? i heard it was a good mobo it overclocks easy or is the gigabyte the same just that it comes cheaper with the combo? does it overclock good? i dont plan overclocking my gpu as i find it very dangerous but i do want to overclock my cpu. now that i have all the components i need will my setup work flawlessly? and bout the hd 5850 thanx for confirming that i was worried that it wouldnt work cuz of the drivers

and thanx for clearing up the sound card thing.

is it hard to build a pc? because your guide isnt really that recent but i love the way you explain every single detail very good! i know how to install the cpu and gpu but not psu or heatsink

thanx in advance!!! u rock man!

tecmo34

Administrator
P6T... It is one of the best X58 boards you can buy but for less money you get another great board with USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0 Gb/s support, which is newer tech. The Gigabyte board will overclock just fine for your needs.

Hey... my guide isn't that old :p :D ... I put it together in Dec. Another good guide can be found in shortstuff_mt's boot problems sticky. It has a little more pictures since the forum it was posted on allows for more pics per post.

Installing the PSU is pretty straight forward. You line it up with the case PSU opening and the bolts. You want the PSU fan facing into the case, unless your case has vents below|above the PSU, you can mount it facing outward so it can take in fresh air.

The heat sink is based on the manual. There is no standard method, so you will need to rely on the directions that come with it... Sorry :(

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

iight thanx man for all your help! i will be using those parts but not now xP! until june im broke! so i will be doing a little more research on how to build it now that i have my components settled in so im gunna use windows 7 ultimate 64 bit with this build (imma use a backup disk i created as some *ssh*le stole my windows cd!! and serial!! and my monitor so whatever ill work it through :D and is gpu overclocking safe with stock heatsink?

thanks man you are dee best!!!!!!!

tecmo34

Administrator
Yes, you can overclock your GPU with the fans that come on them. Overclocking GPU's isn't as extreme as you see on a CPU, so don't always require an aftermarket cooler.

Since you are building in June, make sure to revisit you build on the forum, as prices change and newer products come out, they can alter your build for the better / cheaper. Looks at things roughly a week or two before you plan to finally build it.

Solution

jming1084

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Tecmo you made that guide? It's garbage. Na just kidding I actually used it on my last build and it wasn't my first build. Main thing I liked was how your instructions helped with cable management which was a big issue with build before last.

Also just to play devils advocate since your build date is in June you may want to consider going with an AMD build. For purely gaming the CPU isn't as important as the GPU. If you check the benchmarks on games, my Phenom II 955 preforms just as well if not better than the core i7's and is half the price. Plus AMD new Hexacore processors will be out by then so who knows how those will do. But if you want to go the Intel route there's nothing wrong with that.

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

iight million thanx man!! so can you explain more clearly what i should do just in case i run into problems with the 5850 drivers? cuhz im kinda worried and how much difference will the stock fan from the cpu make from the aftermarket? and should i get the 5850 or the gtx 300 that are coming out or will time tell on benchmarkings?

thanx can i give you lyk points or something like that? im new to thanking people on the forum or do i just choose best answer?

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

nah sorry i love intel i will go with it forever! only amd stuff i will use is gpus thats it but thanx anyway! :D

jming1084

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

Yup. Can't hate on Intel. They make good stuff. Also I wouldn't be thinking about parts just yet. With the way technology advances and the new release coming out soon all the stuff you have listed now will probably go down in price. Hell I bought an 5850 and literally the next day they all dropped down 30 bucks boy was I pissed. By June your be able to probably by an 5870 since the Fermi cards will be available by then and you maybe able to get a better i7 or at least get the 930 cheaper.

kevinmillions

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

yup yup i would buy the parts right away and start jumping in front of mai house for the mailman :bounce: .lol but i wanna save money and plus as you say i can get a 5870 or maybe even a 5970 who knows time will tell when price drop and yes i mite get a better i7 totally true statement buddy :D