crazynuts16

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I have picked out 5 ssd's that I think fit my budget the best. I would like to spend under $100, I already increased my budget from 60 to 100 so there is no room left to go up.

I don't think OCZ are good quality so did not consider them. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to recommend them. This ssd will live in a sata 2 environment(netbook) at first and then I might move it to my desktop(sata3) if i ever need it.

Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT060A3K5 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Price - $90
Price/gb - $1.50
Pros - Intel
Cons - High Cost

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB 2.5" Asynchronous MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Price - $65
Price/gb - $1.08
Pros - Good price
Cons - Complaints on newegg

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR90GB 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Price - 90
Price/gb - $1.00
Pros - Good price
Cons - Low number of reviews

Kingston SSDNow V+200 KW-S2390-4B 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (Upgrade Bundle Kit)

Price - 110/100 (after rebate)
Price/gb - 1.22/1.11
Pros - 90gb
Cons - Kingston

SanDisk Ultra SDSSDH-120G-G25 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Price - 100
Price/gb - 0.83
Pros - Awesome Price
Cons - Sata 2 - SanDisk

I'd get a Crucial M4 or a Plextor M3. The OCZ Vertex 4 drives are far more reliable than their other drives (they abandoned SandForce for Marvell as the controller hardware) and are also a good option.

In general, Marvell's controllers are far more reliable than SandForce based drives.

G

oh?
OCZ Vertex 4 Review
In less than a year, OCZ has brought to market more Indilinx powered controllers than Indilinx did in the previous three years.
While OCZ continues to ship tons of SandForce controllers, the future for the company is Indilinx.

G

that looks like the same SSD(V200+?)

crazynuts16

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
ohh yeah. I didn't realize they were the same. Interesting that the one with the transfer kit is cheaper than the standalone one for once.

I am getting a bit scared of sandforce though.

Please explain to me how what you typed and your link proves me wrong. The Vertex 4 has a Marvell controller with Indilinx firmware. OCZ has confirmed this. Tom's has tested it and proven that although it's write speeds and it's performance with highly compressible data aren't quite as high as Vertex 3, it is better for in-compressible data and is far more reliable than Vertex 3.

G

i did not say you were wrong. i asked an inquiry and posted a link along with a quote that i take as the controllers being Indilinx.
also the article you are referring to
Marvell-Based SSDs From Corsair, Crucial, OCZ, And Plextor: Tested
Unlike SandForce, Marvell gives its partners the option to license its controller firmware framework, which then gives vendors the option to lean on Marvell's reference design or optimize, facilitating differentiated solutions. OCZ seems to have taken that flexibility to an extreme in its Vertex 4, which operates at higher frequencies than Marvell's design and purportedly employs a heavily-modified firmware. You can read more about that particular implementation in OCZ Vertex 4 Review: A Flagship SSD Powered By...Indilinx?.
leads me to believe that though the framework is licensed from Marvell it is an Indilinx controller.

The term *controller* in this context refers solely to the hardware, which is Marvell hardware. The firmware (the software between the controller and the driver) is Indilinx and that is what the quote you referenced means. Indilinx firmware on top of Marvell's controller hardware.

OCZ also increased the clock frequency of the hardware just like the quote specifies, but that has nothing to do with it being Indilinx or Marvell, it's just that OCZ increased the clock frequency of the hardware.

G

i'm sorry i am not buying that. the design is marvell's but the controler is indilinx

http://www.indilinx.com/news/ocz-technology-launches-next-generation-indilinx-everest-ssd-controller-platform.html
SAN JOSE, CA - April 4, 2012 - OCZ Technology Group, Inc. (Nasdaq:OCZ), a leading provider of high-performance solid-state drives (SSDs) for computing devices and systems, today introduced Indilinx Everest 2, its next-generation SSD platform that delivers an industry-best performance of 120,000 random input/output operations per second (IOPS) for SATA-based drives. In addition to this unprecedented transactional performance, the Everest 2 features the most advanced flash management capabilities which can significantly extend NAND flash life and enhance SSD reliability. This innovative controller platform will debut in OCZ’s new Vertex 4 SSD product line.

Two things wrong with your reasoning.

One, the controller IS the hardware and if it's Marvell hardware like OCZ themselves have said, then it's a Marvell controller. A controller can't be designed by Marvell, but not be Marvell in anything except name through re-branding. It's a Marvell controller. OCZ didn't even change the hardware of it at all, just the firmware. OCZ simply provided superior firmware to the other drives that use the same controller.

Two, you are using outdated news as a basis for your opinion when more recent news both from OCZ, Marvell, Tom's and more have since confirmed what I have said. However, feel free to believe what you want. I won't try to convince you further unless you bring anything new to the discussion.

G

three weeks is outdated?
:lol:

i have put all the facts before you.
marvell licenses their design, no rebranding there, that indilinx uses for the controller on the Vertex 4; your own references confirm that.

btw the article you keep referring to itself leaves open for another company producing a controller by "Marvell based"; which also states that marvell is footloose and fancy free with licensing out their design.

Considering that new information has been brought to light be the companies in question that more or less contradicts the information in your older link, yes, it is. Don't forget that this is the technology industry and that this industry can move exceptionally fast.

Information can become outdated in a just one or two days, or even overnight.

crazynuts16

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
sooo, back to topic about possible ssd drives for the netbook?
oh and i realized that whatever ram i put in the netbook its going to get downclocked to 667, so does it matter if i put in 1067 or 1333 to begin with?

G

and pray tell, what information has been brought to light?
none.
nothing i have posted or referred to contradicts any facts, what do you have?
nothing.

i wasn't looking for an argument nor was i looking for unsubstantiated claims.

have a good day.

G

sorry, i thought you were highly considering the Kingston SSDNow V200+ out of what you posted.
what netbook is it?

G

AGAIN from the same article.
Unlike SandForce, Marvell gives its partners the option to license its controller firmware framework, which then gives vendors the option to lean on Marvell's reference design or optimize, facilitating differentiated solutions.
which means, "do what you want with our design as long as we get paid."
OCZ seems to have taken that flexibility to an extreme in its Vertex 4, which operates at higher frequencies than Marvell's design and purportedly employs a heavily-modified firmware. You can read more about that particular implementation in OCZ Vertex 4 Review: A Flagship SSD Powered By...Indilinx?.

so you have a Marvell design modified by OCZ and produced by Indilix right there in black and white. dots A, B and C all connected.

now you wanna keep going or help the OP with downclocking his RAM?

What type of memory does it use? If it's underclocking the memory to 667, then that implies that either it's using DDR2 memory. If it uses DDR2 memory, then 1333MHz isn't even an option anyway because there are no 1333MHz DDR2 modules (except maybe some of the top end desktop modules, there are no mobile DDR2 1333MHz modules).

If it's DDR3, then that means it's not underclocking the memory, it's just that you don't know what DDR means and thus didn't realize that when memory is called 1333MHz, it's actually 1333MT/s, aka 667MHz, for DDR3 1333*MHz* memory. Memory manufacturers call DDR double the actual clock frequency because that was easier than explaining to a non-tech savvy person the technical differences between original SDRAM at 100MHz or 133MHz and DDR at 200MT/s to 400MT/s back ten years ago or so.

DDR is an acronym that represents Double Data Rate. It transfers data twice per cycle (Hz) so instead of explaining this, companies just call MT/s as MHz for the DDR memories, or they call it it's "effective" frequency.

Despite this, many different programs and BIOSs can represent the data rate and frequency or one or the other. So, 1333MHz DDR3 can be called 667MHz (that is actually more accurate), 1333MHz (less accurate, but more widely accepted for it's simplicity), or 1333MT/s (also accurate like 667MHz is, but is more difficult to explain).

On the SSD, I would still recommend any non SandForce drive. The Crucial M4s, Plextor M3s, OCZ Vertex 4, and Samsung 830s (not a Marvell or Sandforce drive, but is an excellent choice) are all drives that I would recommend.

Your quote from the same article clearly states that it is the firmware, not the hardware, that is customized by each company. You're not supposed to prove that someone you disagree with is right when choosing evidence to support yourself.

OCZ increased the clock frequency of the Marvell controller. Again, this is not a hardware change. All it is is a simple setting that they changed.

OCZ made heavily modified/customized firmware. That is exactly what I've been saying this entire time. You can continue disagreeing with me, but all of your evidence supports my calims (and those of Tom's, OCZ, etc.).

G

OCZ Vertex 4 Review (256GB, 512GB)
OCZ is officially releasing the Vertex 4 – based on its Indilinx Everest 2 silicon. In less than a year, OCZ has brought to market more Indilinx powered controllers than Indilinx did in the previous three years.

so i guess silicon is software?
(wash rinse repeat)
AGAIN you have a Marvell design modified by OCZ and produced by Indilix.

and i am still waiting for this "more recent news both from OCZ, Marvell, Tom's" that you reported to have. . while providing more than one source; an outdated press release*, a anandtech review of the SSD individually along with tom's article.

*which is a very lame attempt at discrediting a source. can't you do better?

No, it's not. That is another outdated article from April 4th that has been proven wrong about this topic by official statements from OCZ and Marvell. OCZ doesn't even call it Indilinx silicon because it isn't. The reviewers simply assumed that it was because the last iteration of Indilinx was really an Indilinx controller with OCZ, not Marvell, hardware. The reviewers did not yet know that the Vertex 4 drives were not really OCZ's hardware anymore.

G

no it isn't wrong. for the love of god please post this official statement you keep referring to!

EDIT:
nevermind.
OCZ Confirms Octane and Vertex 4 use Marvell based Silicon
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5741/ocz-confirms-octane-and-vertex-4-use-marvell-based-silicon

well i guess i should thank you for your patience at correcting my errors. and i apologize if i "said" anything offensive.

crazynuts16

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Its the Asus 1015px netbook with the atom n570.

It does use ddr3 memory. This is the reason I thought it underclocks to 667.

Intel today expanded its Atom family of high-efficiency, low-footprint x86 processors, with a new high-speed dual-core model. The Atom N570 released today is clocked at 1.66 GHz, a 166 MHz increase over N550 and its 1.50 GHz speed. The dual-core chip is backed by HyperThreading technology, which gives the OS a total of 4 logical CPUs to work with. Atom N570 features a single-channel, low-latency DDR3 memory controller, with DDR3-667 being the memory speed standard (common DDR3-1066/1333 modules will run at 667 MHz, with lowered latency). The processor also embeds a graphics controller, a PCI-Express root complex, and an L2 cache of 1 MB. One can expect N570 to gradually replace N550 in netbooks.

Well anyways, which memory do you think would be better? a 1333 cas 9 or 1067 cas7?

When I realized that it underclocks I thought 1067 would be better since it has the lower cas, but I am not so sure now. The price difference is negligible so its all from that slight bit extra performance point that will make my decision.

I am hesitating away from the +v200 due to sandforce. I think I want to find the cheapest >60gb ssd with a non-sandforce controller if possible. I don't think I'll end up using maybe 30gb on the netbook. Just windows and some light programs. I want to make the right decision from the get-go since opening it up is a pain.

Thanks guys for your help!