Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Needed upgrade?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 13, 2010 8:09:38 AM

About 4 months ago I build a whole new computer. Went on Newegg and got all new newer stuff but decided to keep my existing BFG tech 8800 GTS 640MB. Everything seemed great till recently, Don't get me wrong it's still a great card but its just not running the newer games as I would like. I thought maybe when I was buying my new setup that the newer CPU and ram would help boost the GPU. I mean I came from a AMD x2 4200+ CPU with 4gb DDR 400, But nope nothing. So I've been looking at the 5770 and it seems like it would be a great addition to my setup. Just wanted to ask if you guy's think it would be too and will I notices a big difference with what I already have?


Here's my setup

AMD PII X3 720 OC to 3.7
Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
Gigabyte AM3 GA-MA770T-UD3P
4gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 TW3X4G1600C9DHX OC to
Hitachi Deskstar hard-drive
BFG tech 8800 GTS 640mb


What card do you guy's think would be good?

More about : needed upgrade

March 13, 2010 8:15:29 AM

vazkey said:
About 4 months ago I build a whole new computer. Went on Newegg and got all new newer stuff but decided to keep my existing BFG tech 8800 GTS 640MB. Everything seemed great till recently, Don't get me wrong it's still a great card but its just not running the newer games as I would like. I thought maybe when I was buying my new setup that the newer CPU and ram would help boost the GPU. I mean I came from a AMD x2 4200+ CPU with 4gb DDR 400, But nope nothing. So I've been looking at the 5770 and it seems like it would be a great addition to my setup. Just wanted to ask if you guy's think it would be too and will I notices a big difference with what I already have?


Here's my setup

AMD PII X3 720 OC to 3.7
Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
Gigabyte AM3 GA-MA770T-UD3P
4gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 TW3X4G1600C9DHX OC to
Hitachi Deskstar hard-drive
BFG tech 8800 GTS 640mb


What card do you guy's think would be good?


Oh and I also have Windows 7 64bit. :D 
m
0
l

Best solution

March 13, 2010 8:50:02 AM

Good you waited. :) 

You can check the relative performance of the cards in these Toms charts..
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-card...

Yes 5770 is a good buy.

Btw if you can wait for 2 more weeks you can expect further price drops on the cards and you might find more cards which fits in your budget.
Share
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 9:02:11 AM

The 5770 will be a step up from the 8800gts, but I don't know if it would be a huge enough step up to be worth the price, atm. I would think a 4890 or 5830 ( for a fair bit more cash) would be a minimum for cost effectiveness in upgrading.
m
0
l
March 13, 2010 9:23:59 AM

witcherx said:
Good you waited. :) 

You can check the relative performance of the cards in these Toms charts..
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-card...

Yes 5770 is a good buy.

Btw if you can wait for 2 more weeks you can expect further price drops on the cards and you might find more cards which fits in your budget.


why would the prices be dropping?? Sorry for taking the focus off the main question :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 9:27:04 AM

Prices may drop if the new DX11 nvidia cards are competetive enough to warrant ATi employing it's price cutting strategy against Nvidia.
m
0
l
March 13, 2010 9:57:26 AM

parithosh93 said:
why would the prices be dropping?? Sorry for taking the focus off the main question :) 


At present ATI is the only one offering DX11 based cards. Nvidia is about to release theirs on 26th (as per nvidia). ATI has been shipping for the last 6 months. If They will have a DX 11 competitive cards, from nvidia, price drop across the board is imminent. But also the price drop may not be significant enough.

So its a wait and watch for 2 weeks.

m
0
l
March 13, 2010 11:22:23 AM

5830 is a bad choice in terms of price/performance. You either get a 5770 or 5850.
It all depends on the size of your monitor, though.
You also want to be sure that you have a decent PSU.
m
0
l
March 13, 2010 6:06:00 PM

galta said:
5830 is a bad choice in terms of price/performance. You either get a 5770 or 5850.
It all depends on the size of your monitor, though.
You also want to be sure that you have a decent PSU.


Well my monitor is an Acer 22" 1680x1050. PSU is new as well, Its not the best but its an Apevia Iceberg 680W ATX-IB680W-BL.

I like the lights. :p 
m
0
l
March 13, 2010 6:08:35 PM

Best answer selected by vazkey.
m
0
l
a c 241 U Graphics card
March 13, 2010 6:20:23 PM

At 1650 x 1050 resolution the 5770 is a good choice. Above that I'd do a 5850 or better....or wait till march 26 and see what nVidia drops.
m
0
l
March 13, 2010 8:36:15 PM

vazkey said:
Best answer selected by vazkey.

n
n:) 
m
0
l
March 14, 2010 6:27:32 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
At 1650 x 1050 resolution the 5770 is a good choice. Above that I'd do a 5850 or better....or wait till march 26 and see what nVidia drops.


From what I hear NVIDIA isn't dropping *** worth picking up at least for gaming.
m
0
l
!