One moment of your time please?

killakiwi

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Hi, total noob question here.

Building my first system, and I have WD Caviar Blue 1TB Hdd and an OCZ Vertex 4 128gb.

Where do i plug these in? the 3gb port or the 6gb port?

I obviously have no clue what i am doing. im not trolling just dumb. thanks

The Vertex 4 should be plugged into a SATA 6Gb/s port and if possible, plug the hard drive into another SATA 6Gb/s port. You probably won't notice much difference between plugging either the SSD or the HDD into the SATA 3Gb/s ports and the 6Gb/s ports, but it's the best option, if you have at least two available SATA 6Gb/s ports.

aodknifer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
depending on the motherboard you want to avoid the third party controller sata III (6gb/s) you want to use the intel controller or the amd one. As for the HDD you wont notice a difference in performance to where its plugged.

killakiwi

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Oh I see. So, quick re cap here for the noob,

SSD into the 6gb port.
HDD into the 3gb port.(cause it doesnt matter)
Pütical drive into the Intel 6gb port.

So does it matter Im plugging the ssd into the 3rd party 6gb port, cause i only have 2 6gb ports. One is intel, one is Asmedia.

thanks again, you must be laughing ny now...

Optical drives have absolutely no benefit from being plugged into a 6Gb/s port. Some hard drive caches can push past SATA 3Gb/s, so if possible, it should be plugged into a 6Gb/s port.

Yes, the AMD/Intel ports are best for their type, but the add-on 6Gb/s ports are better than Intel's and AMD's 3Gb/s ports.

plug the SSD into the Intel 6Gb/s port. Plug the hard drive into the other 6Gb/s port. Plug the optical drive into any 3Gb/s port.

I think that this would be the optimal configuration for you if you only have one Intel 6Gb/s port and one other 6Gb/s port.