CPU failing? Computer "hiccups", skips frames.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
So, I've had this problem the last few weeks where my computer is constantly skipping frames... Kind of hard to explain... Every few seconds, it sort of "hiccups" and freezes for a fraction of a second. Anyway, this is extremely annoying when trying to do anything, especially games. The audio is also distorted. It seems to get worse when playing a game or watching a video. Basically, no games or music :(
I have tried reinstalling drivers after running driver sweeper, I took out my 5750 and ran it off my integrated 4200, but to no avail.

I really don't know what to make of it... I've never even heard of something like this before, and can't find anything on google. It may not even be CPU related, but that's my only guess.

Sounds to me like you have a heat issue with your CPU there.
If you have an intel chip inside it looks like speed step is kicking in to keep the temp down of the cpu.
If the case its a cooling problem of the cpu.
Do a temp test or a log of the cpu temp while playing a game.

can you list your Cpu,Memory,Graphics Card, and the temps.

tab32

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I'm actually having the same issue, and have been having it for over a year now :fou: all driver up to date, replaced graphics card, optical drives. Trying to boot from Ubuntu on usb stick tomorrow to check HD. will let u know what happens.

tab32

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
My BIOS apparently doesnt support booting from a usb drive....but i did reinstall the RAm and cleaned it out, however it didn't fix the problem

voyager11011

Prominent
Aug 1, 2018

I was having the same issue while i was downloading multiple large files at once but after i stopped and gave my pc a few minutes to cool down it stopped stuttering.