Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fx 8320 help with these numbers

Last response: in Overclocking
February 13, 2013 2:47:54 AM

Vcore 1.25(sensors show 1.3?), multiplier 20 (4.0ghz), turbo off,. So running prime I get a max of 62C CPU and 43C core, runs as low as 57C and 38C. It is always around a 20 degree difference. AMD says it should be a 7 to 10 degrees difference between cpu and core temps at full load and core temps are what matters .So why do I keep getting a 20 degree difference? I have verified these temps on four different programs. Dont know a lot about OCing just learning

More about : 8320 numbers

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 1:05:34 AM

mdsco said:
Vcore 1.25(sensors show 1.3?), multiplier 20 (4.0ghz), turbo off,. So running prime I get a max of 62C CPU and 43C core, runs as low as 57C and 38C. It is always around a 20 degree difference. AMD says it should be a 7 to 10 degrees difference between cpu and core temps at full load and core temps are what matters .So why do I keep getting a 20 degree difference? I have verified these temps on four different programs. Dont know a lot about OCing just learning

Are you talking about where it says CPUTIN on HWMonitor? If so, that isn't really something you should worry about. Just pay attention to the core temp readouts.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 2:49:28 AM

how do you get so low volts D:

this isnt fair D:

i cant even get to bios under 1.27 volts...
m
l
Related resources
February 15, 2013 3:36:22 AM

Not worried about it at all, just wondering why my core temp is 20C lower than my CPU temp when AMD says it should be 7-10C lower, from my understanding the core temp is just a calculation not a real temp.
To update it ran prime 2 hours at that voltage with no errors but one core failed by morning
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 11:05:22 AM

mdsco said:
Not worried about it at all, just wondering why my core temp is 20C lower than my CPU temp when AMD says it should be 7-10C lower, from my understanding the core temp is just a calculation not a real temp.
To update it ran prime 2 hours at that voltage with no errors but one core failed by morning

If one failed, you might need a slightly higher voltage. I've found that stability gets better the more I narrow in on the right settings, so if it is going that long before failing, perhaps you aren't far off the mark.

And regarding the CPUTIN readout, I've heard conflicting reports about what it is. Some say it is the north bridge, others say it is something about the processor. The only thing I've gathered for sure is that it is typically inconsequential. A temperature around what you are getting should be far from alarming, so don't sweat it. At this point, your best bet is probably to just narrow in on that stable vcore, and only worry about the voltage and core temps.
February 15, 2013 11:55:21 AM

So I ended up turning LLC to ultra had to up volts to 1.275 voltage is a lot more consistent. Ran prime again overnight similar temps maybe a little higher no errors in 9+ he's. Starting to like this tuning stuff.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 4:08:11 PM

mdsco said:
So I ended up turning LLC to ultra had to up volts to 1.275 voltage is a lot more consistent. Ran prime again overnight similar temps maybe a little higher no errors in 9+ he's. Starting to like this tuning stuff.

It can be fun for whatever reason. I swear I spend more than half the time tweaking my computer, and less than half using it. But it sounds like you've got it all set. Just be on the lookout for normal use crashing and errors. Sometimes the tests don't quite catch it, but normal use might stumble upon a problem. If it happens, I bet you're only a notch or two away from the required vcore.

But really, it should be 100% set now. Congratulations :bounce: 
m
l
February 15, 2013 4:12:03 PM

Thanks guys should have my hd7870 by tomorrow then more tweaking.
m
l
February 15, 2013 4:13:01 PM

Best answer selected by mdsco.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 4:13:05 PM

mdsco said:
Thanks guys should have my hd7870 by tomorrow then more tweaking.

7870 you say..? I may know a thing or two about those as well... :heink: 
m
l
February 15, 2013 6:10:22 PM

Dang tomshardware just put up a newegg promo Code for a powercolor Myst 7870 for $210 plus free shipping
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 6:33:49 PM

mdsco said:
Dang tomshardware just put up a newegg promo Code for a powercolor Myst 7870 for $210 plus free shipping

Oh nice. I had a Gigabyte card since early December and I just got a second one for 249.99, but it included BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider. Also, that version of the 7870 is essentially just a light edition of 7900 series, fitting somewhere between a 7870 and a 7950. It uses the 7900 chip, so it is incompatible with the 7800 cards. Basically a naming failure by AMD. Nonetheless, a great card, especially in that price range.

Mind if I ask which manufacturer made your 7870?
m
l
February 15, 2013 7:18:44 PM

His iceq with the Same game bundle. $230
m
l
February 15, 2013 7:22:39 PM

Have you had good luck with crossfire?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2013 7:41:01 PM

Nice price there. I'm a bit jealous, but I've really enjoyed my Gigabyte models.

And yes, I have had great luck with CrossFire. It is very simple to get going. The only issue I had was the increase in temps from having two so close together. Even with plenty of airflow, I had to cut back on the overclocking to get them back into comfortable temperatures.

The stock settings on the Gigabyte model are 1100 MHz core and 1200 MHz RAM. I was running my single card at 1175 / 1450, but with two, I dropped it to 1175 / 1350. Still extremely fast, and the second card showed massive framerate improvements across the board. I'm still considering dropping the overclock a bit more, so my fans don't have to kick into high speed as often.

Your card will be 1000 MHz / 1200 MHz, but if my experience with 7870s is any indication, it should overclock nicely. Nonetheless, I have a different manufacturer, so anything could happen.
m
l
!