Dec 31, 2012
Hello
I just purchased New setup.
Processor- i7 3770k
Cooler- corsair h100i extreme performance
Ram- corsair vengeance 4gb x 2
Motherboard- ASRock z77 Extreme 4
Cooler master 90CFM x3 coolers extra.
+some other stuff that I think is not so necessary to tell.
I want to overclock my processor top 4.5GHz. Will it be completely stable and ok without problems?
Please tell me how to proceed and what configurations to use since I am newbie at overclocking.
What maximum stable oc can I get with my current system?
Is my cooling solution enough?

Well every CPU is different. Most cases you can get same or similar OC settings as other people but like i say configurations are different. I recommend you read a article on overclocking IVY bridge. It'd be a lot easier for me to link you a on the fly article on how to achieve quick clocks then for me to go in depth and spend a hour or two trouble shooting your BSOD's...

basically all you change is the CPU turbo multiplier to 42 which math says 100x 42 = 4200. Once your chip has been prime95'd at 4.2ghz. bump it up to 4.3. Most any chip will do 4.2-4.3 on stock voltage. Some may need a few mili volts added but thats minor. try to keep your chip voltage below 1.3 and preferably below 1.28 which is still safe. And just keep bumping up the turbo multiplier and adding voltage. if needed. The once you've achieved 4.5GHZ. Go back and try lowering volts. When you start getting BSOD's or windows error's or random shut downs of such then either you don't have enough volts for your OC.. or in the OC process you added too much.

Jaskaran498

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

Will 1.27 volts be enough for 4.5 OC?
Multiplier to 45!!?

spawnkiller

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
i run mine at 4830mhz at 1.375V vcore with a 46 ratio and a 105mhz base clock (upping the base clock change ram, HDD and PCI-e frequency so don't touch it except if you really know what's about data corruption and other limiting factor)

I suggest 4.6 as a starting point and every 3770k should be able to get that kind of OC... base clock at AUTO or 100, CPU ratio @ 46 and cpu Vcore @ 1.35 to start and when confirmed stable, then reduce the vcore, retest, reduce, retest and so on to find the lowest stable voltage at that speed as every chip is different...

You can also disable IEST and all power saving features if you want to get an higher OC like me but i don't suggest to do it for a beginner...

On an Noctua NHU12P se2 (H100i is a lot better) i get about 80 celcius in prime 95

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
I say leave it where you have it. If you want more you can just push it to 4.6 @ 1.3 and you'll be fine. I was able to push mine to 4.8 at 1.36 for a week without issues except slight temp increase. So I deemed it unnecessary and decided to lower it all the way down to 4.4 which is more than enough for most of us. Mind you I have 3570K which doesn't run as hot as yours does.

Jaskaran498

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

Actually we don't even need to go beyond stock clockspeed.
It's more than enough for almost everything.
I only say, sort of madness about OCing. How you understand... :D

wudai_e

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
OC are not recommended not because you can't do it and get a stable system. It is not recommended because it will reduce the CPU's useful lifespan due to higher thermal and electrical stress to the silicons when OCing. Your system will work fine OCed to 4.5 GHz for a year then you might run into weird un-explainable problems until DE OC your system.

Bottom line is, the 3770K is fast enough for almost everything you throw at it. If the whole point of your OC goal is get a couple more points in a benchmark test then go for it at your own risk. No one can guarantee what voltage and what clock speed is the best for you. You have to find that sweet spot yourself AT your own risk. That's the fun part of OC your system imo. If you have to ask, don't do it. It's that simple.